Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 week old won't take a bottle

Unhappy 8 week old won't take a bottle

our eight week old won't take a bottle. I have try varies nipples(Nuk, Avent, Medela, Playtex and Smoothie) the only one that she will even allow us to put in her mouth is the Playtex and all she does is bite down on it. This really has me upset. I am due to go back to work Nov 6. Any suggestion?

Default Re: 8 week old won't take a bottle

Have you tried having someone else feed her the bottle? Sometimes it helps to leave the house as our LOs can sense when we are around and naturally prefer the breast. Also, are you using the slow flow nipples? If you can't get bottles to work, you might be able to try a sippy cup (not sure if she could manage that at her age?), spoon feeding her the milk, or letting her take sips from a regular cup of ebm.
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

right now I am using a fast flow nipple by Playtex; I was told that because I have some much milk and a fast let-down she's use to the milk coming out fast and that a slow nipple might cause her to get more upset. Do you think a slow nipple might make the diffrents? Today I am going to leave home right after one of her feedings and tell my husband to wait about 45 min. or so and try and feed her again and see what happens.

thank you so much for replying I am so stress out about this I can't half sleep @ night.

I also had OALD and an oversupply problem. We have always used the Playtex slow-flow nipples. Since DD is still doing fine with them, I have no plans to change. Since you said she was biting down on the nipple, she may very well be trying to slow/stop the fast flow. I recommend trying out a slow flow nipple and see if that makes a difference.
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

Lots of babies this age won't take a bottle. Mine wouldn't, then started again. In the mean time, I spoon fed her milk at 3.5 months. Your lo is younger and may not do as well with that. You could try a dropper. I know it sounds crazy because most babies drink from a bottle. A lot of breastfed babies won't. It is stressful. I just kept trying with the bottle and after not taking it for two months, she took it like she did it everyday. Also some babies have been known to go long periods, like 4 or 5 hours, without eating and then make up for it when mom gets home. Good luck.

This can be a huge deal for a LO. I pulled this from the Dr. Sears website. I hope that it helps a bit. Good luck to you!

1) Have someone else give the bottle. Many nursing babies won't take a bottle from mother. One of the best people to give a bottle is an experienced bottlefeeder. Besides her experience, she has confidence, and conveys that to the baby as she presents the bottle.

2) Gently stimulate the mouth with the nipple like is done for the first nursing at the breast. Let the baby "mouth" the bottle nipple and become familiar with it.

3) Some babies prefer breastmilk in the bottle; some prefer something other than breastmilk. (Formula)

4) Try different kinds of nipples. Cut more or less holes in the nipples. Some babies like a premie nipple because it's so soft.

5) Try varying the nipple temperature. Put it in the refrigerator (teething babies like this), or run warm water over it.

6) Use lots of cuddling by the feeder.

7) Some babies take a bottle better in the nursing position. Others do better in a totally different position from nursing. Try propping in your lap with the baby's back to your chest. The baby will see the room while drinking the bottle (don't forget eye contact later); or prop the baby on your slanted forelegs, like in an infant seat, and give the bottle while looking at him.

8) It may be best not to give the baby a bottle when he's starving. Anticipate.

9) Try to feed while moving rhythmically, calming the baby and distracting him from the different nipple.

10) Try putting the bottle in the baby's mouth when he's asleep.

11) If all else fails, try doing without a rubber or silicon nipple. Use an eyedropper, spoon, medicine spoon, training cup, (The InfaTrainer by Sassy is a good cup to try). Premie nurseries outside the USA have used Tupperware bowls. A rocking action, back and forth, helps give the baby liquid in this way. Then, when mother and baby are together, frequent nursing helps satisfy sucking need.

Good luck to you!
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet