Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleeping through the night and spit up

Default Sleeping through the night and spit up

Ok so baby is 6 months old. He nurses great and has only been supplemented a few times. I am now at home again so it is not an issue. 2 issues I Have questions on...

1. When do breastfed babies sleep through the night? He still wakes up around 12am, 3am, and 6-7am. I didnt nurse my other two children this long so I have no clue. Do they ever sleep through the night????

2. He always spits up. His doctor just tells me..he will outgrow it. I have tried propping him up after nursing, burping, colic drops, eliminating dairy and other gas causing food from my diet. Someone suggested the TED diet but it seems really hard. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Sleeping through the night and spit up

The TED is really hard but it's not a long term solution, you do it till your baby is feeling better then add in foods. That is IF it's a food sensitivity. That is not why all babies spit up. It did not help me and my baby at all but I know babies who are sensitive to dairy and soy and other foods.

I don't think there's a rule on when babies sleep through the night. Most babies that I know who sleep through the night do it because their moms have let them cry for a few nights. I am not willing to do that to my baby and she sleeps with me so she does not cry at night but says "mama?" and then I let her nurse and we both fall back to sleep while she's nursing.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

My daugther is 13 months and she's only recently stopped spitting up. I think most people say if the baby's growing well, it's more of a laundry problem than a health issue. It has to do with muscle development.

I've had no luck on the sleeping through the night either, but I do know it's a developmental step and doesn't relate to breastfeeding. I think most women on this site deal with it by co-sleeping as do I. But you can look up the book "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" for gentle ways to encourage your baby to sleep better at night.

for what it's worth, I can only think of a few times in the last 10 years I've slept through the night. Even when single and living alone, it was pretty typical for me to wake up and need to use the bathroom or maybe get a small snack if I had a long run that day or just not sleep. I have no idea how my toddler should be able to do something that even I can't do.

I appreciate the suggestions. The only reason I worry about the spitting up is because there are times he spits everything up, I am talking large puddles, not a few teaspoons, he is then hungry again. We do co-sleep, the only thing I worry about is he is now mobile and I he wakes up so quietly i am afraid he will crawl off the bed, he did it once, got over our large body pillow barriers.

Do you have a bed rail? That might help you not worry so much about him falling off the bed. Is your bed close to the floor? You can take your mattress off the frame so it's not a far fall should he fall.