Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Painful! Please Help!!!!

Unhappy Painful! Please Help!!!!

For a couple of days now, I had pain behind both of my nips as if there was a clogged duct, but I couldn't feel a bump. The left side has gotten better, but the right is soooo painful!!!!!
    Every time DD latches on my nipple hurts like hell, as if it were cracked, but it hasn't been cracked or bleeding at all
    It only hurts when she is bfing, but once she stops, so does the pain. It hurts to the point where I am almost in tears. I have NEVER experienced this before with any of my previous 4 episodes of clogged ducts or mastitis.
    Any ideas would it could be???
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Default Re: Painful! Please Help!!!!

Could it be a bleb? That would explain pain during nursing that stops as soon as nursing does. They often crop up with older babies who are teething and soothing their sore gums on mom. Does that sound like a possibility?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Could it be a bleb? That would explain pain during nursing that stops as soon as nursing does. They often crop up with older babies who are teething and soothing their sore gums on mom. Does that sound like a possibility?
    No. no bleb. I've had those before & thought for sure it was that, but nothing. She is teething, and she was in a lot of pain that day that all this started. And she kept biting my right nip to the point where it'd almost bring me to tears. That's why I keep looking for any cuts/cracks and nothing.

I kept thinking, "Dang! It feels like I'm going to give 'birth' to a clog through my nipple!" I'm not kidding, that's what it felt like. That's why I kept thinking that the clog was about to dissolve, but then it started becoming more painful each day making me dread nursing her on that side

Funny thing is that I don't even feel the clogged duct/engorgement sensation any more. Now, it's just the painful feedings
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

Thrush?
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

I am having the same exact problem, the nipple pain is insane. I've got an appt w/ my dr on monday although I hope it's better by then.
    Sorry your in pain mama and sorry I don't have any advice, I'm going to check out the info for thrush.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hls02 View Post
    I am having the same exact problem, the nipple pain is insane. I've got an appt w/ my dr on monday although I hope it's better by then.
    Sorry your in pain mama and sorry I don't have any advice, I'm going to check out the info for thrush.
    Thanks mama I hope you feel better soon, too.

I've never had thrush, but the thing that makes me think it's not, is that 1)my nip only hurts when she suckles When she takes a break, I can catch my breath again. Then she starts suckling again and OMG 2)there no sharp radiating/shooting pain through the breast at any time.

I've been rinsing with baking soda & water, JIC, but still no change.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

That is the exact symptom of thrush. Primarily the pain is during latching and possibly during sucking? Is it painful the entire time or just during latch?

The sharp pain is what sound thrushish. Have you checked LO's mouth and butt? And is it so painful you want to cry?
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

I think I found the "problem"...
    I think the initial pain was from clogged ducts on both breast, but the left resolved just fine, but I remember her biting down on the right side. I had looked but couldn't find any cut/open wound...until Thursday.

On Thursday, I was giving DD pieces of bread and she bit down on the tip of thumb, which hurt badly and it wasn't even nearly as bad as how she bit down on my nip that one day her teething was REALLY bothering her! Anyhow, a couple of hrs. later I had red marks (broken blood vessels) on my thumb so I thought...if that left a mark, she definitely had to have cut through skin on the nip So I checked and sure enough I had a little puncture mark (like a tiny hole or "crater") right where the nip and areola meet & I feel the pain!

After a small break from that side it was feeling better until I started bfing "normally" on it again, and it started getting irritated again, so I'm going to give it a break again, keep rinsing with baking soda & water, and let it get some air, and apply cabbage leaves in the meantime to help with any engorgement.

The only reasons I don't think it could be thrush is:
    -it's just on the right even though I've switched her sides plenty of times
    -no evidence in DD's mouth or butt (I think!*)
    -no itching
    -no pain in the breast, just the nipple
    -started feeling better when I gave it a break
    -no bleeding

I could be wrong though since I've never had thrush. Could this still be/sound like thrush? *If it is thrush, how could I tell on DD's bottom?

Thanks mamas
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

Okay, to me this still sounds like a bleb. This doesn't happen every time, but sometimes when I have a bleb I end up with exactly what you're describing: a tiny crack that looks like a crater or puncture mark. The fact that this came in conjunction with a plugged duct also points to bleb, because generally when I have a bleb there's a plug behind it.

If you buy my explanation, then lanolin on the crack/crater and watching the baby's latch should help.

From my perspective, what you describe doesn't sound very "thrush-y"- the pain is only during nursing, there's no itching, no yeast rash, no burning... But thrush can present in atypical ways, so I would keep my eye on it. If the crack grows or you get more cracks, if the pain intensifies, if you start feeling itching/burning, seeing skin changes (redness/pinkness, peeling, flaking, white patches), then it's time to seriously consider thrush.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Okay, to me this still sounds like a bleb. This doesn't happen every time, but sometimes when I have a bleb I end up with exactly what you're describing: a tiny crack that looks like a crater or puncture mark. The fact that this came in conjunction with a plugged duct also points to bleb, because generally when I have a bleb there's a plug behind it.

If you buy my explanation, then lanolin on the crack/crater and watching the baby's latch should help.

From my perspective, what you describe doesn't sound very "thrush-y"- the pain is only during nursing, there's no itching, no yeast rash, no burning... But thrush can present in atypical ways, so I would keep my eye on it. If the crack grows or you get more cracks, if the pain intensifies, if you start feeling itching/burning, seeing skin changes (redness/pinkness, peeling, flaking, white patches), then it's time to seriously consider thrush.
    This does make complete sense. Normally, when I've gotten blebs in the past I would see the white dot, but this time maybe I never did see it or wasn't looking closely enough. I was just looking at the nip tip not anywhere else. I was going to include this detail, but thought it might be but the tiny "crater" looks like when you pop a pimple and are left with an indention (sorry about the grossness!) and a tiny "X" in the middle... which would explain why it has never bled and why it especially hurts when DD starts dozing off/getting lazy or distracted!!! aha, if DD had bitten me & broken skin I WOULD have bled and scabbed but I never did! A bleb would leave a crater and start healing (still feeling sore & tender) without bleeding!!! It all makes sense now!
    Thanks mama! I have been putting Lanolin ointment as well. I've been feeding her mostly off the left today and that seems to really be helping
    Last edited by @llli*juliet1; October 2nd, 2010 at 08:30 PM.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13