Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: wow! a nurse supportive of extended BF'ing!

Default wow! a nurse supportive of extended BF'ing!

I went to a new ob-gyn today for my annual pap smear (last one moved practices) and mentioned to the nurse I was breastfeeding while she was doing my vitals & history. She asked how old my baby was and I said "Two-and-a hal
    f yr. old". Usually, I get what's "that child still doing nursing?" from health professionals at this point, other than my pedi, who is supportive of it. This nurse's response was, "That's great! I'll bet she's loving it. My mom breastfed me until I was 4. You keep it up. So many people don't realize they breastfeed much longer in other countries around the world."

I definitely wasn't expecting that reaction!
    Cheryl

Mommy to Tessa Noelle 12/14/07

Default Re: wow! a nurse supportive of extended BF'ing!

That's great.

How are you doing? Are things going better than the last time we "saw" you?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Doing pretty good with the breastfeeding, still struggling to keep weight on while nursing. Had a workup at my PCP's and everything's perfectly normal, she concluded it must be the nursing. I've gained 3 lb. but had to work my socks off for it. Now weighed a whopping 98 lb. at the ob-gyn's office

My youngest sister is pregnant (around 20 weeks) and lives nearby and I have been bringing her to LLL meetings with me. Our meetings are held at a birthing center, and she's actually going to switch to a midwife from her OB (possibly the midwife I know from the LLL, she's highly rated in the area, in fact, I'm considering going that route should I have another baby) and has hired a doula who's got her reading Dr. Sears. I'm SO glad it looks like she will be attachment parenting my new niece and is now very passionate about making breastfeeding work & has got her hubby passionate about it too. My other sister is traditional parenting all the way - it will be nice to have like-minded family to share things with
    Cheryl

Mommy to Tessa Noelle 12/14/07

Awesome! I hope to be one of those supportive nurses some day.

Glad everything is going well for you!
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

That's awesome!
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

YAAAY!!! I had one too, yesterday at Ds 18 month checkup, the Dr asked if she still takes bottles and I said she NEVER took a bottle, she was and still is nursed. And the Doc said, "Oh that is great! And good that you are still nursing her!"

I love supportive health care profs!
    Mommy of 4,
    3 who I watch over, 1 who watches over all of us

J- 8/20/05 pumped breastmilk for 11 months due to his cleft lip and palate!

M- 10/17/07 my precious baby lives forever in her mommys heart

M- 3/31/09 my special gift, she helps heal her mommy and daddys heart. Nursed for 4 years and 10 days, self weaned the day her baby brother was born!

E-, new little miracle born 4/11/13, my BIG baby! Born 8.6 at 38 weeks. At 9 weeks nearly 17lbs, at 12 weeks nearly 20lbs, at 6 months nearly 23lbs, at 8 months nearly 25lbs and all from BREASTMILK

great to hear.

My OB has a miswife in his office who was checking me out and when she discovered my 3YO was nursing she told me I was a "superstar"
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language