Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Your advice please!

Default Your advice please!

HI Everyone,

I am a new mother who is exclusively BF my 5 week old baby girl.

For the first 3-4 weeks she has been extremely gassy and it seems to bother her (pushing her legs up, crying, restless, acting as if she's bearing down all the time, grunting, screaming) She is very difficult to burp as well which Im sure doesnt help.

For the last 2 weeks she has been more fussy and colic. We have to take her in the car, stroller, bounce her etc to get her to settle at all.

I thought at first it was gas, then I started eliminating foods (dairy for at least 2 weeks now and no caffeine or chocolate) I would think I saw improvement but it wouldnt last.

For the past couple weeks or so Ive been thinking maybe its overactive letdown reflex as she also is fussy at the breast at times, refuses to latch, bobs her head everywhere screaming as if she is being forced to latch (but she isnt of course) She had been gagging at the breast and did vomit a couple times a couple weeks ago.
    Ive since been leaning back when nursing and for the past 2 days Ive been feeding only on one side at least for one feeding and usually longer ( I judge by expressing some milk and if it looks thin and watery I continue with that side a while longer)

I see no improvement today and am very frustrated. Any suggestions or ideas if I am even on the right track or should I be thinking more on the lines of the food allergy or reflux? she does spit up I might add but not all the time.

Any ideas I would appreciate as Im desperate for some help.

Default Re: Your advice please!

What are her poops like? Color, consistency- you can't gross us out.

Hang in there, Mama. You'll get this sorted!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Well, thats another story! Last poop was 6 days ago, but Im assured this is normal for BF babies this age. Her poop is yellow and seedy last time I saw it

Okay, yellow and seedy is good! If the problem was oversupply, you might expect green, frothy, and explosive poop. If it was an allergy, you might expect green, mucousy poops, potentially with streaks or flecks of blood.

Since you're seeing normal poops (or rather, you were seeing them), I'd want to explore the reflux possibility, and watch your LO's weight carefully while pursuing the block feeding option. It's possible to have OALD without having oversupply, and block feeding is designed to reduce supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"