Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Quetsions on reflux and feeding positions

Default Quetsions on reflux and feeding positions

Hi,
    woudl appreicate info on teh following questions as i am very confused if our son has reflux or OALD

1.how exactly is gas identified if baby is having it-burps and hiccups?
    2.shoudl potatoes be avoided
    3.baby kicks legs while nurisng in football or cradle hold an dpulls nipple what to do
    4.baby pulls off nipples often-why -what to do
    5.is redness around anus a sign of relfux?
    6.he chokes and coughs while feeidng and is brief feeding if 5 minutes-is it OALD or reflux?
    7.baby moves a lot while feeidng and i donno what to do
    8.tried feeidng on nursing chair not comfortable to avoid reflux positin as he kinda slips as he moves alot-what to do

Thanks

Default Re: Quetsions on reflux and feeding positions

There are some other posts about OALD on this thread, but I've tried to answer some of your questions here.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/vbullet...read.php?t=652

1.how exactly is gas identified if baby is having it-burps and hiccups?
    Gas will come out as burps or farts. Sometimes if the baby is sqeaming & twisting & fussing, he's probably having a hard time getting it out.

2.shoudl potatoes be avoided
    I've never heard or read that potatoes should be avoided. Are you thinking they cause gas in DB? There is very little relationship to what you eat and your baby's fussiness. (Here's a link for more info: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/gassybaby.html )

3.baby kicks legs while nurisng in football or cradle hold an dpulls nipple what to do
    You can press baby's face closer into your nipple so he has to unlatch to breathe better. This will help teach him that nipple pulling is a no-no. Try not to pull him off or yell. For kicking, try doing some leg activity with him right before you nurse, to let him get the kicks out. If he still kicks, maybe he's not hungry?

4.baby pulls off nipples often-why -what to do
    Could be so many things. How old is he? How is his latch? Can you meet with or talk to a Lactation Consultant?

5.is redness around anus a sign of relfux?
    It can be a sign of a cold, teething/excess saliva or allergies. Our DB has reflux and hasn't ever had redness around the anus.

6.he chokes and coughs while feeidng and is brief feeding if 5 minutes-is it OALD or reflux?
    Some babies just drink too fast, or it could be either OALD or reflux. Reflux is easy to treat (Zantac, etc.). If you're concerned, it's best to ask your ped to try to diagnose it.

7.baby moves a lot while feeidng and i donno what to do
    My baby is pretty squirmy too. Again, how old is he? I try to nurse right as he gets up from naps because he's often too dazed to squirm around a lot and eats better.

8.tried feeidng on nursing chair not comfortable to avoid reflux positin as he kinda slips as he moves alot-what to do
    Use pillows to position him. But I found that his position didn't matter as much as feeding him in smaller sessions. So, we'd feed for 5min, burp, feed again, etc. until he was done. Then keep him upright (or in a sling) for about 30min after eating to see if that makes him feel better.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Beth; February 19th, 2006 at 08:19 AM.

MY DD has acid reflux and she gets the hiccups alll the time and she at times will have a gurgly noise when breathing after nursing due to the milk coming up a little . The feeding in small amounts works for us as well. My DD in the early days would eat every 45-hour she is 3mnths now. She is very squirmy as well and at times she will throw her arms up and down till I pull her in close and put my free arm in between her legs and cup her lower back. That seems to help a little. We couldnt get her to sleep at all for but maybe 10mins at a time before we knew. She would wake up crying as soon as we put her down . i found myself sleeping holding her in our recliner. After finding out she had reflux we bought one of those bouncy seats and that was our life saver!! she slept in that seat at night in her crib because lying her flat she would wake right away. She also spits up alot if she isnt upright for at least 30-45min. The older she gets I think it has gotten better . but I also avoid all dairy and certain veggies to help with possible food aversions

thanks so much for rpely
    please indicate wher eto pruchase the bouncy seat and its product name
    seems it sa good idea.
    veggies -garlic cauliflower etc is it

thanks

I agree with pp about putting baby in bouncy chair to help with reflux. My ds used to spit up alot not due to reflux though, but I would put him in his bouncy chair and never once would he spit up. A bouncy chair is good if a baby has reflux plus also when they start eating solids. A bit more comfy to sit in while eating. A bouncy chair can be purchased anywhere basically that baby items are sold. We bought ds the ocean wonders one with vibration and he just loves it. However there is many bouncy chairs out there. Look around and get one that you like and is in your price range cause they can get expensive at times. As for the veggies thing they say spicy, califlower,broccoli are things to stay away from. Here is a LLL article on foods some say to avoid

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/avoid.html

Good luck to you

Thumbs up Re: Quetsions on reflux and feeding positions

I agree with Sheena137... we bought the Ocean wonders bouncy seat by fisher price as well. I use it even to entertain her while I take a shower when my hubby is away. I bought her bouncy seat at Target

Some babies just drink too fast, or it could be either OALD or reflux. Reflux is easy to treat (Zantac, etc.). If you're concerned, it's best to ask your ped to try to diagnose it.
    Reflux is easy to treat, but all "Zantac" does is suppress the symptom. Babies needs osteopathic (or cranio-sacral) treatment to fix the problem.

http://www.geobaby.com/articles/baby...y-for-infants/
    http://www.massagetoday.com/archives/2003/05/08.html
    http://www.wholept.com/articles/reflux.html

I put up a general post about Cranial osteopathy in this forum, but it seems a moderator decided that it needed to be hidden. Even though I referenced LLL's page advocating craniosacral work for "difficult cases":

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...gSep01p82.html

Cranial evaluation should be a standard part of ALL infants' care. Much suffering would be averted.

-j