Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Letdown question

Default Letdown question

If I can feel the let down, does that mean my baby is latched on correctly?

Sarah

(I know this is like my 5th post, but I just have soooo many questions!!)

Default Re: Letdown question

Not really... I can always feel my let down and I know for a fact that my DD isn't always latched on correctly. And there are some women who never feel their let down.

Hi Sarah!

It's fine that you have so many questions. We'd prefer that you get them answered and continue to breastfeed. It's what we're here for, so ask away!

In response to this particular question, the answer is no. Some women let down just thinking about their babies or when something accidentally brushes their breasts! There are better ways to tell if your baby is latched correctly:

-plenty of the areola is in the baby's mouth
    -the lips are flanged
    -baby doesn't slip off or slide back

Are you having trouble telling if your baby is latched correctly or not?

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Another very common symptom of incorrect latch or positioning is sore nipples. Do you experience any pain while nursing?
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

My nipples have been sore for a couple of days, but it's nothing too excrutiating. When ds first latches on, I can hear him swallowing quite a bit. That's a sign of a proper latch right? But the swallowing gets more and more faint as the feeding continues and I'm afraid that he has become unlatched. In fact, I'm afraid to unlatch him because he gets very upset and is reluctant to latch on again. I'm afraid that he is not eating enough. He does have about 5 wet diapers a day but sometimes no bm. Maybe one a day if that. He is 8 weeks old and we started to use a bottle to supplement at first and then I think we spoiled him with it too much that he is getting nipple confused! I've tried using a medicine dropper to feed him when he doesn't want to take my nipple, but he doesn't like it. Like I mentioned, he is 8 weeks old and I'm afraid that I've ruined any chance that he has at breast feeding successfully because we used the bottle. I've read not to force him to breastfeed. What can I do to comfort him and take my breast again when he is screaming and I know he is hungry? I don't want to give him a bottle anymore. Thanks!

Sarah

Also, I don't think his bottom lip is down far enough some of the time. His upper lip is always flanged. Another ?... Does anyone know how long it takes for the food you eat to get into your breastmilk? I just want to make sure that I'm not eating something that ds doesn't like. Also, after I pump, how long does it take for my milk to build back up so I can bf him?

Sarah
    Last edited by Sarah; February 26th, 2006 at 12:25 AM.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html

heres a little link about getting your baby back to your breast..

you might want to read on some of theese topics..
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/FAQMain.html

do you have a local lll group? They might be able to help you to, my group is great, we also have a lending library with lots of books about breastfeeding.
    and they are great about answering any ?S that new moms have.
    at 8 weeks your baby can be taught to breastfeed again, its going to take some time!

Sarah,
    I see that you have lots of questions. First I'd like to say - good job mom! You have an 8 week old and i know that taking care of a newborn is both exhausting and overwhelming. We are all here so you won't be in this on your own :-)

Second, I think that you should get in touch with your local LLL group if there is one close by. We can help you through the internet but i tend to think that having another breastfeeding pro take a look while your nursing would be invaluable.

Regarding letdown, some women feel it and others don't. Don't let that worry you, we are all different. Regarding sore nipples, - generally the reason is latch issues. Be sure to follow the latching tips in the previous post. If the pain goes away once he is latched, then that most likely means he is latching well and the pain should be completely gone in a few days. Go flaps down (nursing bra open) and use a smidge of lansinoh to help with healing.
    Hearing the strong swallows in the beginning is a great sign. Babies get the larger quantity of milk in the beginning which is why they gulp more loudly. Sometimes babies will slip off a bit during nursing, my daughter used to do this. I would take her off and re-latch her again if she was interested because if you don't you could end up with more sore nipples.

Most of all, you definitely can get back to total breastfeeding! At 8 weeks, he hasn't reached a "point of no return" with the bottle. Keep it up, nurse often, and feed on demand (sometimes they cluster feed).