Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: plugged duct!

Unhappy plugged duct!

My son is 10 weeks old and I just recently developed yet another plugged duct! I've dealt with these before twice, but this time it seems different. I nurse him on the affected side first (the left) and apply heat whenever possible. I also try to massage it out while I'm in the shower and while he nurses. The plug doesn't seem to be moving towards the surface. The lump feels like it's getting smaller, but it's been there for almost 48 hours.
    How long do plugged ducts typically last?
    *I do not have a fever, aches, chills, etc.*
    Help please!

Default Re: plugged duct!

Plugged ducts can last anywhere from a few hours to a few days. If the lump is getting smaller, then the steps you've been taking are working. Just keep them up and stay alert for those mastitis symptoms.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I don't have the impression of feeling my plugged duct lumps moving toward the surface when I massage on them. Sometimes it even feels like NOTHING's improving! So I, too, *think* that if your lump seems to be getting smaller then what you've been doing are probably working . I always massage LIKE CRAZY when I have a plugged duct/plugged ducts, both in and out of the hot shower. Sometimes I use a comb (idea from kellymom.com) or a bar of soap (I put a thin piece of waterproof material over my breast when I do this to avoid rubbing too much soap on my skin ). The last time I had a plugged duct (a week ago) I also dangle-pumped a lot when DD wasn't nursing (she wouldn't let me dangle-nurse her).

and hope your plugged duct goes away soon. Plugged ducts SUCK.

Thanks for the advice ladies! I feel like the lump has gotten significantly smaller today. I'm still trying to figure out what caused the plugged duct in the first place so it doesn't happen again.

Glad to hear the lump is shrinking.

Usual causes of plugged ducts: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...tml#usualcause
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

For ME the causes (as I figured) have been:

1/ pressing flanges too hard on breast while pumping (and that's because I was holding the flanges against my chest with ONE hand/arm, the other one using the computer )
    2/ DD decreasing appetite when she was coming down with roseola (sp?)
    3/ carrying a moving box
    4/ carrying DD for a long time (that's happened twice already), and probably also
    5/ less nursing on the UNaffected breast while upping nursing on the breast where I was trying to combat a bad plugged duct