Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 mo old doesn't want milk during the day...

Default 9 mo old doesn't want milk during the day...

So I've read some of you say that 3-5 times a day is plenty for babes over one. I typically nurse 4-5 "real" good times a day and DH gives him two bottles when I'm gone.

Lately though, DH says he really doesn't want much of the bottle during the day. He always offers it before and after eating solids, but the little monkey LOVES feeding himself. he's just eating beans, fruits and veggies whole, but he eats a lot. We never feed him from the spoon, so i'm assuming he's just eating what he's comfortable with.

I don't generally have this problem because he still loves to nurse, though i have noticed him naturally spacing himself out more, and I now have to wake him to eat at night rather than him waking on his own.

I know it's not likely that he'll wean anytime soon (that would absolutely kill me) but he doesn't seem to have the same all consuming need to nurse anymore. And I'm concerned that he wont be getting enough milk if he's not getting those two bottles while i'm gone during the day.

i leave two five ounce bottles that DH "nurses" him down and up from each of his naps with - so 2-3 ounces a time - only ten ounces in 10 or so hours is what i leave, and he's not super excited about eating it.

is it ok not to force that milk on him or should we be backing off with solids a little? he just really enjoys feeding himself and has a healthy variety, but I don't want to be giving him that at the expense of him getting enough of mamas milk.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Default Re: 9 mo old doesn't want milk during the day...

Have you tried freezing some and seeing if he'll eat it in cube form? Or what about putting it in a real cup with his meals? Maybe it's the bottle that he's not interested in.

Is he doing the same thing when you're home with him on the weekends during the day?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

i haven't tried a sippy cup - good idea. i did ice cubes of milk when he was teething - so much of it just gets wasted!

when i'm home with him he eats best when he's goign down/getting up from naps - and his best 'meals' are right before bed at night, middle of the night, and first thing in the morning. The others he's not quite as interested in than before.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mama, is he eating plenty of solids? If so, his need for your milk should decrease to just when he's thirsty.

Also - my little one nursed 2-3 times per night until about a month ago (she's 14 months). Now she rarely wakes during the night and if she does it's usually just an hour or two before we get up.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*three-wishes View Post
    Mama, is he eating plenty of solids? If so, his need for your milk should decrease to just when he's thirsty.

Also - my little one nursed 2-3 times per night until about a month ago (she's 14 months). Now she rarely wakes during the night and if she does it's usually just an hour or two before we get up.
    He does love solids for sure. but i just worry about how many times he actually needs to eat to get the right nutrients from me. For solids he tends to gravitate towards protein - mostly beans and chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jbean1979 View Post
    He does love solids for sure. but i just worry about how many times he actually needs to eat to get the right nutrients from me. For solids he tends to gravitate towards protein - mostly beans and chicken.
    Ah, I see! We're having sort of the same issue. When LO was eating babyfood out of jars she loved fruits and veggies . . . now that we're giving to her in actual solids form she tends to reject them.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*three-wishes View Post
    Ah, I see! We're having sort of the same issue. When LO was eating babyfood out of jars she loved fruits and veggies . . . now that we're giving to her in actual solids form she tends to reject them.
    he's never actually REJECTED anything but we've never given him jarred food before, he's always just had chunks/mashed up stuff that we put in front of him and he feeds it to himself. And he usually clears the plate He just prefers protein.

The problem isn't with the solids, it's more with the fact that i don't know if he's getting enough milk. DH is going to try a sippy cup wth his lunch today and see how that goes...