Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding and sleep - 8 month old

Question Breastfeeding and sleep - 8 month old

Hello Mamas!

I am a new mom and I'm very conflicted about what's right for my 8-month-old son. How often should I be nursing him in a day? When I wait for him to tell me its time to nurse, he only nurses about 4 times along with solids 2 times a day.

Also, when is the right time to stop allowing him to nurse to sleep? He doesn't always nurse to sleep, but I am stuck between CIO and AP parenting. Just wanting to do the right thing for my baby. Thanks!

Default Re: Breastfeeding and sleep - 8 month old

before a year old breastmilk should make up the majority of your LO's diet. I don't think that breastfeeding only 4 times a day is enough to do that. However it is extremely common for LOs to be very distracted during the day at this age. I would recommend offering more often and nursing in a quiet, dark area to get more feedings into him. As for the nursing to sleep thing I have no advice. My 18 month old still nurses to sleep and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I am fine with that and so he is he so I don't see any reason to change what we are doing. Who says that he needs to stop nursing to sleep now?
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Default Re: Breastfeeding and sleep - 8 month old

I agree with PP. You could try to offer a bit more, maybe offer first and then give foods so he gets the good stuff first. I too nurse my DS2 and nursed my DS1 until he didn't want me to anymore. There is nothing "wrong" with nursing to sleep. As long as you and baby want to, why stop Just listen to your LO and there will be little or no tears necessary

8 months! Keep it up Momma! You're doing great!