Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping at work

Default Pumping at work

I have an 8 week old, and I work during the day. I'm pumping at work about every 2-3 hours. I usually only have to pump for about 10 minutes and I can get anywhere from 4-6 oz. My only question is how will my body know to produce more milk if I'm not nursing during the day. I want to make sure I'm making enough milk to keep her satisfied! Thanks!!!

Default Re: Pumping at work

I just pump when my baby would normally be eating, about every 2-3 hours. Sometimes it's harder to keep up with pumping because it's easier to get out milk nursing than pumping. But it sounds like you're getting plenty, just keep up on that schedule.

general "rule" is that baby eats about 1-1.5 ounces per hour that mom's away.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Default Re: Pumping at work

Mama, you're doing well. Like jbean said, if you pump every 2-3 hours or when your little one would normally nurse, you should be good to go.

I did notice you mention your little one is only 8 weeks old. Your supply may "even out" a bit in the next few weeks and it might take you longer to pump a good volume. A suggestion is to not pump for "10 minutes" per say, but however long it takes you to pump through 2 letdowns.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.