Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Timing Lipase-y Milk Scalding (from Fridge to Freezer)

Default Timing Lipase-y Milk Scalding (from Fridge to Freezer)

Hi, All

Just sifted through the big Lipase thread, but didn't find an answer to my question (sorry if i missed it!).

My question is: If you milk is normal or only has a light, acceptable lipase smell/taste after a few days of storage in the fridge, will scalding it prevent further lipase activity. In other words, will scalding prevent lipase activity that has already started?

I keep reading that the expressed BM should be scalded "immediately". Since this isn't practical and since my milk seems fine after a few days in the fridge, I'm hoping that I can just scald my milk when I'm ready to move it to the freezer.

Again, I'm sorry if this was covered elsewhere. Thanks again for any advice!

PS: Any LC's reading: PLEASE tell your clients about the possible lipase issue when it comes to milk storage...had I known earlier, I would've tested my milk ..then I would have known to scald! My LC's were both awesome, but neither one covered this.
    Last edited by @llli*Po; September 29th, 2010 at 01:00 AM. Reason: adding options, copy

Default Re: Timing Lipase-y Milk Scalding (from Fridge to Freezer)

yes scalding it will inhibit further lipase action. sounds like your excess lipase issue is not too bad if you can store it in the fridge for a couple of days without it going bad. I would try to scald it as soon as possible however.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Scalding will stop FURTHER lipase action affecting the milk, but won't reverse what's already happened.

IME each person dealing with excess lipase needs to experiment with how long it takes before their own EBM starts to go yuck.

I put EBM in the fridge then can scald up to a day later and be okay.

For others they've learned they need to scaled immediately.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks rcsmom & lsksam!

One thing I'm still not sure about is whether or not the lipase is active after freezing. I'm guessing yes because the older milk definitely was much stronger smelling and tasting. That said, I tended to keep my EBM refrigerated for about 3-5 days before I froze it (back before I was aware of lipase), so maybe it went bad before I even froze it.

In any case, I'm once again thankful for the LLL forums helping me with yet another breastfeeding challenge. It sucks that my hard fought freezer horde is no good (well, I'll check the more recent to see how bad it is), but I'm glad I learned how to fix the issue a month before I have to go back to work..

My understanding is that freezing slows down but does NOT stop the lipase. Scalding will denature the lipase enzyme and stop any future action on the EBM.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

You're lucky that you figured it out now! I figured out 2 days before going back to work, when we really started to push the bottles and DD really fought them! Now she's doing better with bottles, but she's still learning! Definitely another breastfeeding challenge!

My milk was ok for up to three days in the fridge but went bad immediately upon being frozen. Next time I'll scald everything before I freeze it.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months