Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No clue what is going wrong :(

Default No clue what is going wrong :(

Hello everyone

I have been bf'ing my son for the past 6 months now, he will be 7 months next week. Occasionally I have to give a bottle of formula but not that often maybe about 3 times a week. I do not pump often either, which i should be but I never get the time to do it . When i rarely pump i get 2-3.5 oz out of each breast so I know there's milk in their lol. My breast used to leak a lot when he was around 3-4 months then it stopped, they even used to feel full. Now they feel very empty and soft so im freaking out right now.
    For about 2 weeks now I have noticed a huge drop in my supply. He pulls at the breast, kicks, moves, latches off and fuss or talk at the breast. This goes on during the day time, night time feeding and mid night feeding are normal he drink then sleeps. He's been on solids for about a month now and still nurses every 2-3 hours. The weird thing is that he doesn't wet very often, maybe 5 wets a day. Right now we are using cloth diapers so its a little hard to tell how often still and also his urine is very strong smelling almost like cat box. This is the reason why I started using formula the Dr. said to do that to add some water in his diet but he wont drink just plain water, it has to have a hint of juice in it. Do I need to nurse him more or pump on a more regular basis, or eat more? When i had him i was 175lb and he was 6lbs 10 oz. Now im 127lbs and he is 16lbs 11oz, so I know i did something right since he gained all that weight lol. Is my supply getting low b/c of how much weight i lost? Or do I need to like nap or something, I very active I take him and my 19 month old to the park every other day so napping is pretty hard to do
    I would appreciate any help or advice please b/c I dont want to give up on breast feeding im looking to go as long as he wants it, with my daughter she stopped at 3 months due to supply issues so im trying to avoid that with him thanks

Default Re: No clue what is going wrong :(

Have you tried nursing more often? Offering before he asks?

Check out these links.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/lo...ly.html#supply
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html
    Have you recently gotten AF back or have you gone on any type of hormonal BC? both of those can affect your supply. Are you feeding on demand? If you aren't pumping when you give the bottles of formula then you are impacting your supply by doing that.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Hey
    Well I offer the breast before the bottle when ever i have to give a bottle. I'm not taking anything but prenatal vitamins, I started my period when he was 4 1/2 months. I know when it gets close to the beginning of every month my supply drops that first week then picks right back up but this month it didn't it's just keep on dropping. I have tried nursing more offten like a little snack for him he'll take it but gets very distracted now if he hears any noises and my daughter is always making noise when she's playing lol.

could you be pregnant?

If not, i would just try nusring more. Have you tried Mothers Milk tea?
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Oh no not a chance, since my husband's been away at navy training for the past 6 months when is a good time to pump? I put him to bed around 7-8pm and nurse him to sleep then on both sides. He wakes up around 12am, 4am, then again at 7am to nurse. Then he gets cereal and a fruit and ill nurse him again around 10ish after his food settles down and he'll take a nap till 12pm. Am i waiting to long between feedings? I really don't try to schedule them but that's just the way he eat every couple of hours, but sometimes my body isn't keeping up with his needs thats why I offer the formula after i nurse him. He drinks 4-5 oz of formula after i nurse him, and thos are short feeding less than 5 mins total that's how i figure nothing is coming out b/c he fights at the breast and keeps un latching. Yes i have tried the tea but not in a few months now, right now im trying the fenugreek pills taking 2 every time i eat which is about 4 times out the day. At first i was thinking it's because i lost a bunch of weight like i did with my first, went from 170 to 120 with her in a month b/c i got sick from my c section. This time it was just slow weight lost from 175- 127 now and thats with me eating the same way i did while pregnant but just staying active and breast feeding. So im not sure wahts the deal
    Last edited by @llli*ambierav; September 29th, 2010 at 09:17 AM.

I wonder if he's developing a bottle preference. How many ounces of formula are you giving him a day? I would start backing off on that... and just nurse. I would give him half an ounce less every day in each bottle until you are down to none. If you're not giving him those bottles every day - I would just stop giving them to him. When you give him formula, you're telling your body you don't need to make that milk anymore. So yes, your supply will go down. Stop supplementing and nurse more.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I wonder if he's developing a bottle preference. How many ounces of formula are you giving him a day? I would start backing off on that... and just nurse. I would give him half an ounce less every day in each bottle until you are down to none. If you're not giving him those bottles every day - I would just stop giving them to him. When you give him formula, you're telling your body you don't need to make that milk anymore. So yes, your supply will go down. Stop supplementing and nurse more.
    i used to supplement at night with my own breast milk in a bottle, and since i stopped that my supply's gone way up. supplementing out of fear no good (btdt) - supplementing out of necessity, another story.

I would say you could pump at 10ish and have enough milk to feed him again at midnight. Also, pump when you're done nursing to tell your body to make more.

Mama, I honestly think there's nothing really wrong. It sounds pretty textbook to me, as pp's already gave very good references (thanks RCS'Mom, Traci!) It does sound like a nipple preference, or like a distractible nurser, which is common at that age.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/index.html

Every new mum has an oversupply, at the ready to feed twins, even triplets.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/breast-fullness.html
    Your body is both feeding LO and protecting you from oversupply problems, which can lead to plugged ducts and mastitis.

The key to knowing if LO is getting enough is to do a nappy count. Luckily you're doing CD so it's even easier to sense if LO wet.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html

The strong odour could be from nappies that need to be stripped, or it could be from a concentrated urine. Formula fed babies do routinely need extra water:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...aby-water.html
    solid foods require extra water for the kidneys to do their job.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...olids-how.html

LO might need sips of water from a cup.

And by the way, you are pumping A LOT of milk!
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    'What is normal when it comes to pumping output and changes in pumping output?

Most moms who are nursing full-time are able to pump around 1/2 to 2 ounces total (for both breasts) per pumping session. Moms who pump more milk per session may have an oversupply of milk, or may respond better than average to the pump, or may have been able to increase pump output with practice. Many moms think that they should be able to pump 4-8 ounces per pumping session, but even 4 ounces is an unusually large pumping output.
    '
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

I just read PP's thought about distractable nurser. Duh! I had a HORRIBLE time for about a month when my son was about 7 mos (not long ago, but didn't last long, thank god!) i swear the only time he would eat a good meal is when he was sleeping. It made me wild! A couple of things that helped for me was to try and nurse him in the same spot, so he knew it was time to eat. I also covered him with his blankie so he had that close to his face, and gave him his stuffed monkey that he takes to bed with him. All of these things helped tremendously for us. That could be part of the problem?