Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Evil nursing behaviors - Boxing with breast

Question Evil nursing behaviors - Boxing with breast

My LO is 9 weeks and just really started moving her arms and legs a LOT the past 2 days. She has started hitting, pushing, pulling and pinching my breast while nursing. She will push the breast away which breaks the latch and the she screams at me as if I "took" my breast away from her. She will also latch on and then shake/move her head like a shark trying to kill or rip its prey apart. Clearly none of these behaviors are things I like because OUCH!

Any suggestions on how to stop it. My first LO did not have issues like this. I fear this one is out to rip off my breast if she can.

BYW, it happens when my breast are full or empty so flow does not seem to be the issue.

Possibly related...she also just started knocking out her paci and screams like heck that it is out of her mouth.
    Last edited by @llli*mary.mud; September 28th, 2010 at 07:12 PM. Reason: bad spelling :-)
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: Evil nursing behaviors - Boxing with breast

I think it is just a phase and maybe is related to a growth spurt or just becoming more aware of the world around them. Have you tried getting a nursing necklace to see if that interests her more than the gymnastics she is performing now? Might work.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

i have been dealing w/ this w/ my 8 week old, too. for my guy, i've figured out if it happens at the beginning of a feed, he is either not happy w/ the latch & i need to relatch or the milk is coming too quickly & i need to change the angle of his head so gravity isn't making it pour down his throat. in the middle of a feed it means he needs to be burped before continuing (i read that tip on here a couple days ago and i was shocked at how often it's true for my guy). toward the end (when my breast feels emptier to me), it means he is frustrated because the milk is too slow, so i either need to do compressions or switch sides.

also, sometimes i suspect he's boxing w/ me if he went too long between feedings and he's all worked up (this seems to be not accompanied by him trying to yank my nipple off like the above ones).

i've also read it can be a sign of teething.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rcsmom View Post
    I think it is just a phase and maybe is related to a growth spurt or just becoming more aware of the world around them. Have you tried getting a nursing necklace to see if that interests her more than the gymnastics she is performing now? Might work.
    Maybe she is growing b/c she nursed me "dry" this morning then slept for 3 hours straight - was waking every 2 hours before this morning. I'll try a nursing necklace too.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jofo View Post
    i have been dealing w/ this w/ my 8 week old, too. for my guy, i've figured out if it happens at the beginning of a feed, he is either not happy w/ the latch & i need to relatch or the milk is coming too quickly & i need to change the angle of his head so gravity isn't making it pour down his throat. in the middle of a feed it means he needs to be burped before continuing (i read that tip on here a couple days ago and i was shocked at how often it's true for my guy). toward the end (when my breast feels emptier to me), it means he is frustrated because the milk is too slow, so i either need to do compressions or switch sides.

also, sometimes i suspect he's boxing w/ me if he went too long between feedings and he's all worked up (this seems to be not accompanied by him trying to yank my nipple off like the above ones).

i've also read it can be a sign of teething.
    This maybe is it too. But I hope Not teething - this young? My first LO did not teeth until 1 year.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk