Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wisdom teeth removal and a nursling

Default Re: Wisdom teeth removal and a nursling

Yeah. If they can't tell you what's in the IV, don't let them give it to you. That's a crock. I think they just don't want to bother looking anything up or going to the effort of telling you what they use, so they're throwing the 24-hour thing at you.

I hope you get it figured out!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumtothomas View Post
    Yeah. If they can't tell you what's in the IV, don't let them give it to you. That's a crock. I think they just don't want to bother looking anything up or going to the effort of telling you what they use, so they're throwing the 24-hour thing at you.

I hope you get it figured out!!
    That's exactly it. I mean she said it's the anist. dr that does it, so she doesn't know what it is. So when she asked the Dr she came back to tell me 24 hours. I am so tired of asking and getting the same answer. I think I'll just go in, when the dr gives me the stuff, tell him to write it down and then look it up. If it's 24 hours like they say, I'll do that, if it's something that can wear off sooner, then I'll know because I've looked it up. I hate fighting with doctors.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manatee View Post
    Um, you have a right to informed consent regarding medical treatment. They have to tell you what drugs they will administer. Just, period. Can your GP or GYN or someone intercede to get the information? I'm just personally very at a grown adult being refused information about a medical procedure . . .
    Yeah, that's crazy. Maybe they'd give you the number for the anesthesiologist and you could ask them directly.

IF THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT'S BEING GIVEN TO YOU HOW CAN THEY KNOW YOU HAVE TO WAIT 24 HOURS!?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I'm bumping this thread .I'm getting my wisdom teeth extracted.I have exact same situation.My little one won't sleep without nursing and nurses all night.She doesn't take bottles.So Laura can you tell me how you managed ?And what pain medication did you take ?
    BTW I'm getting the same advice 24 hours without pump and dump.

Thanks
    Mangai

I'm pretty sure I didn't nurse at all during the day, and we put her to sleep some other way, probably rocking. And then she did sleep pretty well, so when it was early morning, I just gave in and nursed her. I did get a prescription for the bf safe Lortab. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this as well, but your nursling is a bit older, right? So I think you will make out just fine. Not ideal, but we made it through without much of an issue. Good luck Mangai!!
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    L '12
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Thanks .I don't think she can go without nursing in the night .We tried and she was wide awake waiting for me .I will see what I can do otherwise I will just nurse her.

Thanks
    Mangai

Do you HAVE to be put under? I just got mine out less than 2 months ago and was given gas instead. I wasn't even offered the choice of being put under. I'm not sure how they decide for each person though. I was just given motrin for pain meds. I was surprised he didn't say anything negative about nursing like most seem to! Are they bad and need to come out now? Maybe you could wait til after she's weaned? I would have just waited if it affected nursing!!
    Ayna ~ born 10/22/09
    Still and despite the controversy of society!

Good luck, it's awful but some how I lucked out that night. She did really well for me.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    L '12
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*m.mangai View Post
    I'm bumping this thread .I'm getting my wisdom teeth extracted.I have exact same situation.My little one won't sleep without nursing and nurses all night.She doesn't take bottles.So Laura can you tell me how you managed ?And what pain medication did you take ?
    BTW I'm getting the same advice 24 hours without pump and dump.

Thanks
    Mangai
    The 24 hours pump and dump rule is just a generic precaution. Despite my asking and asking at gastroenterology and obstetrics/gynecology when I had an upper endoscopy, that's the only answer anyone would give me. I didn't believe them and had them write down the names of the drugs and checked with Dr. Hale's group, and the answer was that it was fine to nurse as soon as I was awake and alert.

When I had a colonoscopy a month later, I called the nurse to figure out the active ingredient of the laxative preparation to see if that would be safe for my baby. I also double checked to make sure I would receive the same sedation. When she responded, she had actually checked into the matter and said that it would be safe to nurse my baby immediately for one of the drugs, and the other would be out of my system within ten hours. (Note that this was a significant improvement over what I had been told one month before, but it still went by when the drug is out of the system, not how much is excreted in breast milk and safe for baby. Dr. Hale knows that, and I follow his advice.) When I had an endoscopy done five months later, I was told that I could not nurse for 48 hours! IT WAS THE SAME DRUGS! Boy, was I angry, but at least I was able to be polite and say, "Actually, another nurse checked into this for me in December ... And not only that, Dr. Thomas Hale does studies on lactation, and he has found ..."

Your best bet is to communicate politely but clearly with your doctor's staff prior to the procedure and then do your research.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aynasmommy View Post
    Do you HAVE to be put under? I just got mine out less than 2 months ago and was given gas instead. I wasn't even offered the choice of being put under. I'm not sure how they decide for each person though. I was just given motrin for pain meds. I was surprised he didn't say anything negative about nursing like most seem to! Are they bad and need to come out now? Maybe you could wait til after she's weaned? I would have just waited if it affected nursing!!

Unfortunately this is not an option at this point of time. I'm seeing a dental surgeon not regular denstist to remove them since this is ingrown and affecting the other molar
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duaeguttae View Post
    The 24 hours pump and dump rule is just a generic precaution. Despite my asking and asking at gastroenterology and obstetrics/gynecology when I had an upper endoscopy, that's the only answer anyone would give me. I didn't believe them and had them write down the names of the drugs and checked with Dr. Hale's group, and the answer was that it was fine to nurse as soon as I was awake and alert.

When I had a colonoscopy a month later, I called the nurse to figure out the active ingredient of the laxative preparation to see if that would be safe for my baby. I also double checked to make sure I would receive the same sedation. When she responded, she had actually checked into the matter and said that it would be safe to nurse my baby immediately for one of the drugs, and the other would be out of my system within ten hours. (Note that this was a significant improvement over what I had been told one month before, but it still went by when the drug is out of the system, not how much is excreted in breast milk and safe for baby. Dr. Hale knows that, and I follow his advice.) When I had an endoscopy done five months later, I was told that I could not nurse for 48 hours! IT WAS THE SAME DRUGS! Boy, was I angry, but at least I was able to be polite and say, "Actually, another nurse checked into this for me in December ... And not only that, Dr. Thomas Hale does studies on lactation, and he has found ..."

Your best bet is to communicate politely but clearly with your doctor's staff prior to the procedure and then do your research.
    Thanks for this info.I'm trying to collect as much information as possible so I can make a better decision.Lets see how it goes

Thanks
    Mangai