Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wisdom teeth removal and a nursling

Default Re: Wisdom teeth removal and a nursling

Are you scheduling your surgery for a Friday so your dh can be home with you for the weekend?

I have a sensitive stomach when it comes to pain meds and I can't take vicodin or I will hurl. They did try to give me that for both of my sections, so I am assuming it's safe. I wound up with Darvocet, which the doctor said was fine.

And about being put under, I had all 4 taken out at once, and two were impacted. They gave me the pills to knock me out, but I threw them up and they couldn't give me anything else, so they just took them out by giving me novacaine shots

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shannon75 View Post
    Are you scheduling your surgery for a Friday so your dh can be home with you for the weekend?

I have a sensitive stomach when it comes to pain meds and I can't take vicodin or I will hurl. They did try to give me that for both of my sections, so I am assuming it's safe. I wound up with Darvocet, which the doctor said was fine.

And about being put under, I had all 4 taken out at once, and two were impacted. They gave me the pills to knock me out, but I threw them up and they couldn't give me anything else, so they just took them out by giving me novacaine shots
    They will only schedule them for Thursday mornings. Hmmm, maybe DH can take a 2 sick days in a row, then we wouldn't need an excuse from a doctor. He can only take sick days off if he has a slip. That might work, and then I will have a hand the next day as well.

I really wanted them to just pull them out with just novacaine, and he pretty much refused. Like I said before he was ignorant. I hate holy-er than thou doctors. I think I'd find a different doctor, if there was a choice, but the only other one retired a good many years ago. So I'm stuck with this guy.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

The pp's have given great advice! I had my wisdom teeth removed about 13 years ago... all 4 of mine were impacted and had to be cut out. IIRC, they put me under with just "gas" so I would think that as soon as you are awake and alert, the gas would be worn off plenty for you to nurse your LO. As for the pain meds, those should be fine too! Check with Hale's book or your doc, but I'm pretty sure Vicodin or Tylenol with codeine are both acceptable to take while nursing. Just try to make sure you get something that you have had before, and that you know won't make you sick to your stomach. I'm trying to remember if I even took my pain meds after I had mine out... I think I may have taken them for the first day or so, but after that I just kept taking motrin/ibuprofen regularly and it was fine.

The procedure doesn't take long at all, so you should be home soon, but you will definitely want someone there with you because I remember sleeping most of the rest of the day after I had mine out. And you might need help changing your gauze too... I remember my mom coming in when I was half asleep and helping me change my gauze.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

My ob perscribed me vicodin and percocet (if the vicodin didn't work) when i had a miscarriage, and that was when LO was about 12 weeks old (maybe 16?) and said it was fine to take - obviously avoid it if you can, but i couldn't for a while. Dr. Hale's page that i looked at at the time (and i can't remember how i got there online to see his list) i don't think had testing on hydrocodone (vicodin) but i read somewhere in his comments that he thouight it was fine and to just watch for sedation. I think it was either on that page or on a forum he moderates?? also said that most medication that has a 4-6 hour repeat dosage peaks at about 2 hours, so try to nurse directly after dosage or prior to next dose.

I haven't had sedation since i've been nursing, but i did have four impacted wisdom teeth, done two at a time. The first two i did without sedation - just novacaine - and it was so horrible that i went with sedation the next time. Trust me, if they're impacted and they have to cut them up inside your gum to get them out, get sedated.

And ice like a crazy woman afterward, or you'll look like you have golf balls growing out of your cheeks. I was not so smart and walked around looking perty darn scary looking for a few days.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

So my OBGYN office called me back and said to ask for Lortab, that's what he prescribes after a csection for pain relief. And he said to pump for 24 hours afterwards because of the sedation!!! WTH ladies, why can't the story be the same everywhere. What do I do??? I know I can stretch out her needing to nurse for 12 hours, but honestly I can't see it happening for 24. She doesn't take a bottle. She has no replacement for my boobs. She is fine to do without during the day, but not at night. Help! What do I do?!?!
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    L '12
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

first find out what sedation they're using, look it up in Hale's book and see if they offer alternatives. I know you said the receptionist didn't know, but someone's gotta! I know that my sister had conscious sedation a couple of years ago and was fine to nurse that evening.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I'd find out what they are sedating you with because I don't think not nursing for 24 hours is necessary with most drugs. I think they are being overly cautious.

Also you might not need the meds afterward. When I had my teeth out (also surgically removed) I never took the Lortabs after the first dose I took when the anesthesia wore off. I just took ibuprofen and it managed the pain fine.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I'd find out what they are sedating you with because I don't think not nursing for 24 hours is necessary with most drugs. I think they are being overly cautious.

Also you might not need the meds afterward. When I had my teeth out (also surgically removed) I never took the Lortabs after the first dose I took when the anesthesia wore off. I just took ibuprofen and it managed the pain fine.
    Okay so I'll call back and find out exactly what they use. And I am with you Paige, I figure I'll get the prescription but probably just use ibuprofen if I can.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    L '12
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11

Called and they still can't tell me what is used, except I did find out it is through an IV.. anyone have any knowledge of this sort of thing? Seems the only answer I am getting is wait 24 hours, which feels generic to me, like they really don't know. It's going to be a night from hell if I can't nurse. They are all just pump for 24 hours. This girl doesn't take a bottle, there is NO replacement. If it is really necessary to wait 24 hours for her sake, we'll make do, but if it's just because they are clueless, I'd hate for that to happen.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    L '12
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11

Um, you have a right to informed consent regarding medical treatment. They have to tell you what drugs they will administer. Just, period. Can your GP or GYN or someone intercede to get the information? I'm just personally very at a grown adult being refused information about a medical procedure . . .
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.