Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wisdom teeth removal and a nursling

Default Wisdom teeth removal and a nursling

So I went in for a consultation, and I need to be put under to have them all 4 taken out. I am terrified of being put under. And the doctor was very arrogant about me still nursing. So ladies, I need some help. How soon after being put under can I nurse, and what pain medications are safe to take. He acted like there would be nothing I could take, but um c section mamas can nurse, and lord knows they just had surgery and have pain medication. So can anyone help me figure out how I can get this done without hurting DD and my nursing relationship, too bad. BTW, we nurse before nap, and before bed, and through out the night. Appt would be for 8 in the morning. She can skip nursing for a session or two, but not through the night.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Default Re: Wisdom teeth removal and a nursling

If he's that arrogant, can you go to another dentist??

Aside from that... ask him what options he has available. Is Gas one of them? Get a list of the meds he's likely to give you.

Let me tell you THIS is why I got involved in LLL. I weaned my 14 year old at 6 month (I am crying now mind you as I type this) because the IGNORANT dentist told me I had to quite nursing or else - get this - I'd kill my baby with the meds they'd give me afterward... mind you I didnt put all the pieces together until years later... but the meds they gave me after - VICODIN. People I got vicodin when I was discharged from the hossy with a newborn in my arms.. so DONT let this dude tell you you have to wean. If hes a jerk find a new one!

(off soap box)
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

He was very arrogant. Problem is, he's it for this town. And it's going to be hard enough to get someone to watch the kids for me, and someone to take me in to get it done. So I figure, screw him. As long as I know what I can take, then I'll make sure to have him prescribe me that. I guess I can call my OB and see what he says is safe for breastfeeding. Such as time after the procedure is done, when will it be safe to nurse again. And what pain meds can I take that are safe. I know that's just the thing Eme, I am not going to stop nursing her, it's none of his business.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    L '12
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

Can you pump before your surgery? Pump and dump while on the meds?

There are definitely things you can take even if a little medication is excreted in breast milk. I was never on pain meds while BFing DS but I had to take very strong antibiotics a few times for dysentery/e.coli while nursing him. I know that the meds they prescribed me are not entirely compatible with BFing. But I had no choice, obviously.

Good luck! You will find something that works, I'm sure.
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

I'm pretty sure you will be fine...and probably will not have to skip more than one nursing session, if that. The rule of thumb is after surgery, if you are alert and aware and feeling well enough to hold your baby, you are okay to nurse. It's pretty rare these days for them to use anything that won't leave your body pretty quickly after surgery.

As for pain meds, yeah...they load you up on those post c-section and it is fine! Just be cautious about sleeping with your baby if you load up on meds before bed.

I had my gallbladder taken out when my LO was 4 months old and I skipped one nursing session ONLY because I was very nauseous for about 2.5 hours post surgery. Ask your dr what drugs he plans on using on you during surgery as well as the pain meds he will be prescribing. Then double check those with an LLL Leader (or with Medications and Mothers' Milk by Thomas Hale) to put your mind at ease.

And when it comes up again with your dentist, just nod and smile. He doesn't need to be involved with this parenting decision.

GOOD LUCK!
    First-time momma to Baby Girl M, born 5.22.09

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Oh, and a helpful link.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/dentalwork.html

Take care, momma!
    First-time momma to Baby Girl M, born 5.22.09

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Kelly mom link is a great one

I would want to know before hand what they're going to give you and prescribe after JUST to make sure it's something *I* hadn't had any issues with before. The dentist does not need to take that phone call - he has staff for that Indeed just know what you're up against first and go get er done. If you're worried about anything he'll give you after ( since that is really the thing you'll need to watch for ) then come back here (or call your local leader )
    Also - if you know of a certain med that works well for you - suggest that. They'll likely want to give you a NSAID (like motrin) to keep the swelling down ... but like I said just know what they're gonna likely give you so you know.
    good luck finding someone to watch during!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thank you ladies! That link is great! I called and made the appt. I just said I wanted to know what he used. She didn't know what it was for putting you out, but pain med was vicodin. So called my obgyn and they are supposed to get back to me when the dr is in tomorrow, and see what he says. I feel confident, I'll just not nurse that day for naps, and by bedtime I'll probably be fine to put her down, and then as long as the pain med is approved for nursing, I can nurse her at night! Sounds perfect! Thanks so much ladies. It's so frustrating when people act like there are no options only weaning. Then you start doubting yourself. Also my dad is on afternoon shift so he'll stay with the kids and my DH will have to take a personal day and take me in. Hate being a pain, but that's the only way we can do it.
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    L '12
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*apple.baby View Post
    The rule of thumb is after surgery, if you are alert and aware and feeling well enough to hold your baby, you are okay to nurse.

If you want to PM me your email address and the names of the meds you're prescribed, I can send you scans of the pages from Medications and Mothers' Milk, or you can call the Infant Risk Center to ask about them. It's unlikely there will be anything you really can't take while breastfeeding.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

yup and your baby isn't tiny and taking in solids.
    So not as much to worry as with a tiny newborn.