Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Congestion while feeding

Default Congestion while feeding

My old account was hacked so here is my new one, anyway. My 6 month old just now caught a cold. He is extreamly congested expecially at night. The doctor said to use saline and avoid the sucktion of his nose. He is having so much trouble nursing and my nipples are taking a beating. I have been elevating him, menthol baths and baby chest rub, and it helps the rest of the time, but he cannot nurse well at all. Is there anything else someone can suggest to help?

Default Re: Congestion while feeding

Did your doctor specifically say why you should avoid nasal aspiration?

DD2 is only 6.5 weeks old and has a cold. I've been:
    - elevating her head when she's laying down
    - increasing the humidity in the house to over 60%
    - using the HydraSense Nasal Aspirator:

http://www.hydrasense.ca/en/

It is a kit - it includes saline to help soften everything in her nose. Then I use the aspirator to help suck it out. Because I'm the one providing the suction, I can control the pressure and the length of time. It's been a real life saver since I got it last night. DD2 is finally sleeping!!! It had been a really rough go without it.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    - using the HydraSense Nasal Aspirator:

http://www.hydrasense.ca/en/

It is a kit - it includes saline to help soften everything in her nose. Then I use the aspirator to help suck it out. Because I'm the one providing the suction, I can control the pressure and the length of time. It's been a real life saver since I got it last night. DD2 is finally sleeping!!! It had been a really rough go without it.

DD is 4 months and just finished a cold; this product helped so much!

Can you buy this anywhere??? The doctor said it inflames their membranes and makes it worse, but this seems gentler.