Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When do they stop spitting up?

Default When do they stop spitting up?

I have no idea if this is the right forum for my question... but at what age do most babies stop spitting up? DS is 11 months old and still spits up on occasion. Only now that he's eating tons of solids (this kid eats everything! ), it's not like cute little baby spit up, it's more like vomit. It doesn't happen that often, and it's not like he's vomiting up huge amounts... it's more like he burps a wet burp and a little comes up. I just assumed he would outgrow it by now?
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

Default Re: When do they stop spitting up?

Yes my 14 mo old still does once in awhile, not alot, but a little bit. I found that I was no longer dragging around burp clothes so much around 9 mos but every so often she still does.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

According to our pedi, GI, and Pulmonogist, after 12 months it is considered unusual. There are some reasons for concern after that point as well, since even non-acidic stomach contents can cause inflammation and irritation to the esophagus, the tonsils and adenoids, the upper airway, the sinuses and the inner ears. I would definitely let your pedi know at the 12 month if it is still happening. They may do nothing if there are no secondary issues, but it is worth them being aware of it.
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lorenzomama View Post
    According to our pedi, GI, and Pulmonogist, after 12 months it is considered unusual. There are some reasons for concern after that point as well, since even non-acidic stomach contents can cause inflammation and irritation to the esophagus, the tonsils and adenoids, the upper airway, the sinuses and the inner ears. I would definitely let your pedi know at the 12 month if it is still happening. They may do nothing if there are no secondary issues, but it is worth them being aware of it.
    Thanks! I will definitely let them know at his 12 month checkup.

My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Levi is about to be 11 months, and he still spits up a bit. It's not a whole lot, or very often, but it does still happen occasionally. He is on Zantac for reflux since it seemed to bother him a lot before he was on the meds. I think Lance stopped a lot earlier with the spit up even though he used to make fountains of it when he was a newborn.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

My mom said me and my siblings spit up a bunch as babies. My 8 month son does as well. Wanting this to be over I've asked her when we stopped spitting up. She says,"hmm I don't remember, you stopped at some point. You don't spit up now do you?"
    Children are a blessing from the Lord.
    Wife to my sweety & Mother to my son (Born January 2010)

I started to motherhood when my son first smiled at me, is my preferred method of transporting my son, was overwhelming at first but now enjoyable, and cloth diapering his & are my newest adventures!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*samiha View Post
    Levi is about to be 11 months, and he still spits up a bit. It's not a whole lot, or very often, but it does still happen occasionally. He is on Zantac for reflux since it seemed to bother him a lot before he was on the meds. I think Lance stopped a lot earlier with the spit up even though he used to make fountains of it when he was a newborn.
    Yes, this sounds a lot like Mason's spit up pattern too, only Mason is not on any reflux meds. I never suspected he could have reflux? Although thinking back, he did used to spit up quite often... but he is always super happy and the spit up does not bother him one bit?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sandilucia View Post
    My mom said me and my siblings spit up a bunch as babies. My 8 month son does as well. Wanting this to be over I've asked her when we stopped spitting up. She says,"hmm I don't remember, you stopped at some point. You don't spit up now do you?"

DD2 is still spitting up too. She's 8.5 months old, but was a preemie...I hope it stops soon. You should see my formerly beige carpet. Now that she eats solids too, I have a technicolour carpet. I clean it as best as I can, but what's the point in shampooing when she'll just do it again?

(I can't wait to put the bibs and burp cloths away. Makes me sad to put her in a super cute outfit and then just have it covered up by a bib. )
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

All of mine have spit up tons and for quite a long time, but I would agree that after 12 months it would be unusual.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes