Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 week old with acid reflux

Default 8 week old with acid reflux

My 8 week old has acid reflux pretty bad, she is on Prevacid once a day. I've had to change my diet. No dairy, spicy foods, fried or fatty foods, onions, garlic, peppers or anything tomato based. Do you know if I eat this stuff how long it takes to get out of my breast milk? Thanks! =)

Default Re: 8 week old with acid reflux

My DS1 had acid reflux pretty bad too. Not fun. Most foods it only takes a few hours if not a day. But dairy I believe takes 4-6wks to totally get out of your system. And depending on how sensitive your LO is you will need to look at every ingredient in the food you eat, dairy is in ALOT of foods.

WOW! I wasn't aware that it could take that long! That's CRAZY! Yea, I've been staying away from anything with dairy, because I know that can be awful! So many people have told me to just quit nursing, but it's worth it to me! I love nursing my sweet little girl!

Good for you Momma! There is no reason to quit. It might be a bit rough at first, but once you get the hang of it you'll be bfing like a champ. We were able to bf for 14mo. My DS1 outgrew his acid reflux around 5 months thankfully. I had to go back to work around 4 months and our pedi suggested to put a tiny bit of rice cereal in bottle of bm to thicken it to keep it down (he had got real dehydrated and wouldn't gain weight from spitting up so much). That worked great for us, along with the meds. Keep up the good work Momma! You're doing a great job!

For commitment to nursing a refluxer! I have been nursing mine for 3 1/2 years, and while it has been a rollercoaster ride, I am soooooo grateful that I never gave up. Please don't hesitate to come here for advice while on your own rollercoaster -- there are lots of us here who have worked through the challenges of reflux with our little ones and we have loads of experience and resources to share...
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

My 4.5 mo DD has been a spitter since birth. She is on Prevacid and it seems to help the discomfort, but she still spits buckets! I've tried varying my diet and I've only found things that make it worse...nothing that improves it. I tried reducing the amount of dairy I ate but it didn't seem to help. Do you have to go cold turkey on dairy in order to see a difference?

If you think dairy is causing issues, then yes. I think you should start to see a difference around 2wks. But for it to totally get out of your system it takes a few more weeks. But I don't think dairy causes the actually spitting up issue, rather just the discomfort. Usually there is not much to be done about the refluxing, they just grow out of it. It can be tiring bringing about 3 changes of clothes for Mom, Dad AND baby, the constant laundry, not being able to put them down without something under them, the "sorry about that" when they spit up on people, etc....but it gets better. I promise it won't be like this forever! Hang in there!

I have had 2 reflux babies so feel free to ask if you have any problems. DD1 did much better splitting her Prevacid dose and taking half in the morning and half in teh evening. She also did much better with a higher dose, 3/4 of a 15 mg tablet twice a day.
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Maybe I will try splitting her dose of Prevacid. She does 1/2 a 15mg tablet every morning now. I will try a quarter in the morning and evening.
    Did anyone notice a difference when the LO went on solids? Does the spitting get better at all?
    Jessica
    Mom to Olivia 5/20/2010
    at home at work

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamajess View Post
    Did anyone notice a difference when the LO went on solids? Does the spitting get better at all?
    Unfortunately my 8 month old refluxer still spits up just as much now that she eats some solids. Now I just have a multicolored carpet instead of a milk splashed one.
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010