Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: A ? about supplementing

Default A ? about supplementing

Is it okay to supplement with formula? Will my daughter still get the benefits of breastmilk? The immune building benefits etc...? Thanks!

Lindsay

Default Re: A ? about supplementing

You can, but the best option overall is to feed expressed breastmilk (if possible). The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that healthy, full-term babies be exclusive breastfed for the first 6 months (or until baby shows all signs of readiness for solids).

Exclusive breastfeeding yeilds the most benefits, however *any* amount of breastfeeding is beneficial.

Hmmm...that's a very good question!

I located this resource. It has some good information, lots of research-based stuff:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...t-formula.html

From my understanding, it's absolutely best to feed breastmilk exclusively until it's time to introduce complimentary foods, aka solids. I think there was even a new thing out by the AAP. Let me see if I can find it...here ya go!
    http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...ract/117/2/425
    So, basicly the benefits are *better* if exclusive breastfeeding is a possiblity. If not, baby (and mama!) are both still recieving benefits.

HTH, and wasn't too confusing! LOL!

It is definitely true that ANY breastmilk is more beneficial than NO breastmilk.

However, it is also true that ANY formula is riskier than NO formula.

IMHO, the main risks of formula supplements fall into two categories: 1) It makes your baby's gut digest something that it wasn't designed to digest, increasing the risk of a range of problems from stinkier poops and discomfort to lifelong allergies. And 2) the negative impact of formula supplements on your own milk supply can be a "slippery slope" that sometimes leads to an almost accidental weaning -- especially if formula is offered because mom feels she "can't keep up."

Whether formula supplements are worth these risks is a judgment that is entirely up to you. Let us know if you need more information to help you make the best decision for your baby and yourself.

--Rebecca

Giving some formula doesn't "cancel out" the good things in breastmilk. It is much better for a baby to continue to receive breastmilk, and if the mother feels that giving some formula will enable her to keep nursing longer, then this is a reasonable option in some situations. The older the baby is, the more easily they can handle the foreign proteins in formula. Ideally it would be after 6 months, but as parents we don't always have the option to do everything ideally. In the end, it is the mother's decision about what is right for her situation.