Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 month old biting

Default 8 month old biting

I am having trouble with my 8 month old biting and dragging her teeth when she releases. She has been doing this during the whole time she nurses. I have been telling her "no biting". I can't really take the breast away from her beacause she is doing this while releasing. She does not nurse for very long to begin with So I worry about her getting enough food. She only nurses for like five minutes each breast.

Default Re: 8 month old biting

I have a biter also, ds only bites when he is finished and wants to talk/play...I just get my finger ready to slide in the side of his mouth to break the suction. I also tell him no, and that hurts mommy. Hope this helps.

My 8 month old started biting too. But I also just watch for signs that she's going to bite and then I take her off. She usually only bites when she's done with that side. My daughter also will only nurse for 5 min on each side and she's done that since she was born.

These are a couple of good resources (the 2nd one is NOT a LLL resource):
    www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bite.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/biting.html

I learned to keep my finger on ds's chin and then I pulled down on it when he starts to bite, and quickly stick a finger in his mouth between his teeth to pry his mouth open. He is 2 years old now, and I still have to do this when he nurses to sleep, because he always clamps down as he's drifting off to sleep.