Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I (would like to be) done!

Default I (would like to be) done!

I'm very frustrated and down about trying to make this decision. But after 16mths, I'm done. I really wish DD would wean herself completely, but I don't see that happening anytime soon and it's getting harder and harder for me to stay well to keep up with her. Not even with my AF returning (after being MIA for 2yrs) did my supply decrease from the norm!!!!! I've always had OS/OALD and I'm tired!!!

I've been feeling clogged ducts on both sides coming on these past few days from a combination of things: DD teething, stuffy nose (allergies), sloppy latch, STTN (only if in our bed), eating more solids, her being too busy playing, & me lifting her up/down when we go out/play.

I'm torn on having to make a decision, but I think the benefits are outweighing the neg. The following things will push me to getting clogged ducts even with my taking other precautions:
    -I can't wear her
    -I can't carry her for long periods of time
    -Repetitive lifting to get her on/off in/out of playing equipment/car seat
    -Let her STTN (in our bed)
    -Her teething (2 molars are about to cut through)
    -Her sloppy latch because she'll start falling asleep
    -She won't empty because she'd rather play
    -If I don't bf her often (right now she wants to be outside playing or at play areas which calls for us to be out for hrs at a time & she's too distracted to bf when we're out-n-about!)

If I significantly decrease/dry out my milk, I can:
    -take her out to play as long as she likes
    -carry her as long as she'd like (try rocking her to sleep)
    -wear her (without having to suffer the consequences)
    -let her STTN without having to wake her & insist she feed
    -do small things around the house (vacuum, sweep, mop)
    -avoid getting stressed when AF rolls around next time

Anyway, my concern is that if I decrease/dry up my supply, would it effect my supply next time around if/when we decide on baby # 2?

TIA ladies!
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Default Re: I (would like to be) done!

Juliet - what do you mean? Are you saying that you want to cut back on nursing? Or are you saying that you want to wean? I'm not sure why either of these things would impact your supply if and when you have another child.

Have you ever tried the cabbage leaves?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Well the clear solution is that you need to get pregnant Just kidding mama.

I have never tried to decrease my supply or wean so I don't have much to offer except that if you decide to wean because it is no longer mutually beneficial to both of you than there is no shame in gently weaning. I know you would never harshly wean her or cut her off. 16 months is a wonderful accomplishment. I will now just offer you some hugs mama.
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

Juliet do you think that if you got your out of control supply in check you would want to continue longer?
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Thanks Colleen, although to the getting pg idea

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Juliet - what do you mean? Are you saying that you want to cut back on nursing? Or are you saying that you want to wean? I'm not sure why either of these things would impact your supply if and when you have another child.

Have you ever tried the cabbage leaves?
    I would like for my supply to drop/diminish because DD (before her current teething) was only nursing 2-3 in 24hrs. But my supply never adjusted to that so I keep getting full, even with AF's return. My problem is that I still get really full to where if I'm not careful, I'll get clogged ducts easily, so I'd like my supply to drop/decrease, or make it decrease, without causing negative, permanent supply issues in the future.
    No, I've never tried cabbage leaves. I've been hesitant to do anything myself to cause my supply to drop or even dry out, but I'm at the point where I have to, because it's becoming uncomfortable, DD has backed off of bfing some, and it's stopping me from being able to do things without paying for it later. The other day, for example, I was laying down and DD was playing in bed with me and DH, and she leaned back I hit her head on my boob, and caused it to feel like a clogged duct was lingering if I didn't "baby" it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rcsmom View Post
    Juliet do you think that if you got your out of control supply in check you would want to continue longer?
    if my supply dropped, to the point where I'm not constantly having to battle with getting engorged/uncomfortable and avoiding doing things in order to avoid getting clogged ducts (and mastitis), I definitely wouldn't mind just bfing DD when she's not feeling well, teething, or to sleep.
    That's the only reason I was kind of looking forward to AF returning, to make my supply dip, but there wasn't a change. I'm just really fed up with my OS (even though I've always done blockfeeding) constantly leaving me susceptible to clogged ducts.
    Last edited by @llli*juliet1; September 29th, 2010 at 03:03 PM.
    I'm a SAHM to
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

If I were you, I would start trying the natural type remedies for reducing your milk supply, like the cabbage leaves. I think it could be dangerous to take a drug (does such a thing exist?) to remove your milk supply entirely. You could always go on regular birth control pills for a while too... that helped a friend of mine who was weaning. The estrogen has a reducing effect on milk supply.

ETA: Everything I read says every pregnancy and nursing relationship is different. So you can have oversupply with one and undersupply with another. I don't think that anything you do will impact your ability to make milk in the future.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thanks Tracie I prefer natural remedies, so I will definitely give them a try before anything else.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13