Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 month old bedtime routine

Default Re: 5 month old bedtime routine

http://www.phdinparenting.com/2009/0...er-sleep-tips/

http://www.phdinparenting.com/2008/07/05/no-cry-it-out/

Here's some info on the Ferber method. It was actually not studied in children under 12 months of age.

http://www.parentingscience.com/Ferber-method.html
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

He has been a bit weird with his bedtime lately. He is tired around 730-8pm. We usually do bath time 745pm and then I nurse/rock/walk him to sleep right after. Sometimes it takes 15mins and sometimes 30+mins. But most of the time he will wake up again at 9pm and have to be rocked to sleep again. Even if I put him down at 845pm. Something about 9pm. So I was thinking of waiting a bit since he likes 9pm, but he is so tired at 730-8pm He usually takes his last nap (30mins) around 5-6pm.

My honest approach is to be less set in my ways about a schedule. If he's not falling asleep, then it's very possible that he's not tired. If you feel strongly about 7:30, then try to wake him earlier from his afternoon nap, and that might help.

But my personal philosophy is just to roll with it. There's always something going on developmentally with them, or with teething, or they're starting to have separation anxiety, etc. If I wanted a robot, I wouldn't have had a baby. Sometimes he may have trouble turning off his brain, or need more comfort and reassurance from me. And that's just part of parenting.

So if we give it a go for bedtime at 7, and he's still awake after nursing, we bring him back downstairs for 30-45 minutes, and watch him. If he's acting tired, we'll try again. If he's down for 40 minutes and then wakes up and won't go back to sleep, he comes down to play on the floor for a while, and then we try again.

That's while we're still awake. If he wakes up in the night, we co-sleep with him between us. I try to nurse him. If it doesn't work, he's corralled between us, and we mostly just ignore him until he gets tired and falls to sleep. He will crawl around and headbutt us. If necessary, I do the "arm cage" where I'll lie on my side an extend my arm out in an arch over him, which will allow him some limited range of motion for rolling, but not too much. If he starts to wiggle toward the foot of the bed or shoot up toward the headboard, I just bring my arm down to exert some gentle pressure at the small of his back to hold him in place. No talking, no shooshing, no real interaction. He sometimes gets frustrated, but mostly just vocalizes ("babababa") and eventually wears out and goes back down.

ETA: I should say that, when my DS is teething, he's extremely restless and wakes a lot. When we're still up, we'll see his head pop up on the video monitor, and we'll take turns going up to try to soothe him (he likes to be held with his head resting on a shoulder, while rocking). Usually, that will work. Sometimes, he needs some ibuprofen for the teething (and it's dosing time), so we'll do that and then try to rock. But if he's really resisting sleeping, it's more of a PITA for me to have to sit up there in the dark rocking him, or worse, sit in the hallway listening to him cry. I'd rather just have him up for another segment of time and then try again.
    Last edited by @llli*manatee; September 28th, 2010 at 12:04 PM.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

That's the thing though, he IS tired. He just has a hard time going to sleep. Same thing when he wakes at night (which can be 1-3x). What if my DH would put him back to sleep at night?

This sounds like my life. DD is tired at 7 or 7:30. She nurses for about 20 min-half hour and then is "asleep." I sneak away and then she's UP again for another 30-40 minutes. We call it her Power Nap. It's sort of trying my nerves, but I figure -- this too shall pass.

I'm not ready to do any CIO or quit co-sleeping. So...

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

these phases are pretty common and it's much easier to go with the flow. My daughter woke up every 45 minutes for several months around 9 or 10 months. I work full time. It was really hard. But, now at 23 months she is sleeping through the night. No problems. And she knows that if she needs a parent, that one will be there. It won't always be me, but she has gotten more accepting of Daddy and calms down for him almost as quickly as me and goes to sleep probably more quickly because he can't nurse her.

The only things I would have changed over the past two years are:
    (1) Stop reading sleep books. I was obsessed with them and wanting Lilah to fit the supposed mold.
    (2) Get DH involved in bedtime/nightwakings earlier than I did. We had arguments early on about CIO, so I ended up doing all of the nighttime parenting. Now that he's doing all of the nighttime parenting, he goes to her immediately too. I think he would have been able to help sooner if I had let him.
    (3) Not worry about what other people's babies are doing.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Do you think it would be OK at this point to let DH put him back to sleep at night? He is willing to do whatever I need....

He's 5 months old? He may still need to nurse. But you could have your DH try for a few minutes and if it's clear that he needs nursing - you could nurse him. Or have your DH bring him to you in your bed, you nurse and then DH brings him back and does the rocking thing?

Has he ever tried to get the baby back to sleep in the middle of the night?
    Tracie

Mommy to

Yes he has 2 or 3x I think. DS2 woke about an hour after I had just nursed him to sleep so I was pretty sure he wasn't hungry so I asked DH to rock him back to sleep. And he did go right back to sleep. He also has put him to bed a few times as he did pretty much the same thing, wakes up a bit after I nurse him. I could have DH try a bit more often to see if he really does need to nurse

We did do Ferber during the night but I am lucky, my kids don't wake much after they are put down. I would think it is fine to have dh help at night to break the nursing at night habit. I would consider weight gain and be sure your lo is getting enough calories. Like I said, I didn't feed DD1 after about 4 mths but she was also 95 percentile for weight. Ferber is a choice and it was ours and that is just my opinion. I know it is not popular but I have many friends for who it has worked and I would do it again in a second. Especially after how easy it was with DD2. DD2 sleeps great, 8-8 at night and 2 nap of at least 1.5 hrs each, it is heaven!
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.