Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 month old bedtime routine

Default 5 month old bedtime routine

How do you put your LO to bed? I was nursing and rocking my DS2 to bed. But now he decided he doesn't like that anymore and wants me to carry him around until he goes to sleep. He is getting heavy and it kills my arms and back. Any suggestions to getting my LO to bed?

Default Re: 5 month old bedtime routine

This is an unpopular view on this site but we did Ferber (controlled crying) with both kids and it worked great. 5 mths is the perfect age to do it too, that is just my opinion tho.
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

I appreciate your honesty given the opinions on this site. I don't know much about that method. Were you nursing your LO to bed before you switched to that method?

Will he fall asleep if you nurse him laying down? You could put his crib mattress on the floor, nurse him down and then go away.

When my daughter was 5 months old, I would nurse her to sleep on my bed and then transfer her to her crib when she was asleep. Then, when she woke to nurse in the middle of the night, my husband or I would get her and bring her back to our bed. We would put her back in her crib at some point while she was sleeping and then repeat if she woke up again.

Another thing I did - although around 10 months, I think, was to try to get Lilah to fall asleep in her crib. I would put her in there, if she cried, I picked her up and walked her around until she calmed down and then put her back, rinse, repeat. It took a few hours the first night and then less each successive night... until we went on travel.

So with the new baby I plan on not bothering with a crib. A mattress on the floor or in bed with us is much easier - and now at 23 months, my daughter is sleeping almost 12 hours at night, falling asleep with Daddy reading to her and we didn't have to make her feel abandoned to get here. They will fall asleep on their own when they are ready and they will sleep through the night when they are ready. It is not true that nursing them to sleep and every time they wake up will make them "bad" sleepers. Especially at 5 months.

Have you read "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. She does have some good suggestions in there.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I have tried the nursing and laying but he wants the movement. We are unable to co-sleep as well. A few times I have been at wits end and have had my DH go walk him back to sleep and he will go to sleep. It is so hard for me to tell if he is really hungry or if it is the only way he knows how to go to sleep I am not afraid of causing a "bad habit" or anything. I am just exhausted and work full time as well and have a 2yr old. I have not read the "no cry solution", I will take a look. Thank you ladies for your suggestions!

Our sleep routine has always been bath, massage/lotion, nurse/rock then sleep. Now that she is older we do books too but I still nurse her to sleep. She sleeps ina crib and generally through the night. On nights where she is waking a lot she comes in bed with us.

If your lo wants to be carried have you tried wearing baby to sleep then transitioning to bed? It never worked for us but I have friends who swear by it!
    I'm Sidney, FTM to Stella b. Oct 4 2009.

We and part-time and I'll be liquid gold at work come June.

They both were nursing to sleep and then it didn't work anymore. DH rocked them both for a while but liek you said, they get heavy. Also, it got harder and harder to make the move into the crib. So we used Ferber, do the bedtiem routine, soothe them and then put them in. Check back after 3 min and soothe briefly, then 5 min, soothe again, then 7 min and soothe again. Idea is that you keep increasing the intervals of time so they eventually fall asleep while you are gone. I have to say it worked great for both. DD1 was 12 mths when we did it cause nothing we could do got her to go to sleep but DD2 was 5 mths and I think it worked even better. I was actually able to go back to nursing her to sleep after a while and it worked much better than before the training. I liked nursing her down and it didn't matter if she fell asleep or not. I just put her in teh crib when she was done. HTH!
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Do you do the same approach when they wake at night?

I did whatever it took to help them sleep. It's such a short time in their life I didnt want to have memories of tears (JMO) I didnt use any CIO methods. Not for me. We had a routine but no "schedule". I always "Allowed" at least 30-45 minutes for putting down (thats after changing clothes washing up etc) because then I was stress free and it went much better. Some days the baby was down in 5. Sometimes more but I wasnt stressed about it. It always happens. By the time they are 2 they go down no problem... none have sleep issues or anything.

Maybe you can put a mattress on the floor where she sleeps?
    Last edited by @llli*number4; September 28th, 2010 at 09:08 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Something else that may be going on is that your baby needs a later/earlier bedtime? I remember that I had the hardest time getting Lilah to sleep for a few months until I realized that as much as I wanted her to be asleep by 7 pm that she always fell asleep closer to 8. So when I gave up on the idea of 7 pm and started the bedtime routine closer to 8, she fell asleep a lot faster. And it was far less frustrating.

We did have time periods where she wouldn't fall asleep nursing... so we bounced her with the ball or rocked her with white noise, or whatever it seemed to take at the time.

How much time is between the last nap that your baby takes and bedtime? Is it possible that it's time to lengthen that amount of time?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months