Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How often to pump at work?

Default How often to pump at work?

Hello,
    I have an almost 8-wk old son at home who is doing great both with the breast and the bottle. I'm an active duty military nurse in an ER, and I've been pumping while at work so my son can get all the benefits of breastmilk. I work 12 hours shifts 3-4 days a week, and I usually try to get 3 pumping sessions in. Even with a quick double breastpump, it's hard to get off the floor when we're busy, and I've missed a couple pumpings here and there, extending the time between pumpings to five or six hours. Do you think I'll be able to get away with this without affecting my supply? Do I need to add extra feedings/pumpings at night?
    Thanks so much for your help!

Default Re: How often to pump at work?

Everyone is different, but I know personally I would not be able to go that long without it affecting my supply. Remember that it is supply and demand. The less you are emptying, the less your body will make. I would try not to go 3-4hrs max without pumping at work. How often does your LO nurse at home and at night? How much are you getting when you pump at work?

Default Re: How often to pump at work?

I can usually pump 4-6 oz per pumping. I breastfeed when I'm at home, feeding every 3-4 hours. So far (it hasn't been that long since I've been back at work) I've been able to supply more than my son has been eating, so I've been freezing the remainder.