Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Worried if getting enough milk? Give water?

Default Worried if getting enough milk? Give water?

We have been nursing a year. My dd nurses at least 4 x a day but her diapers hardly seem wet. Not great weight gain and I offer her to nurse more frequently. Only 1 pound 2 oz. From 9-12 months. I have never given any other fluids and just wondering if I should give some water. After one, is it wet diapers to tell if they are getting enough milk or # nursing sessions. If I do give water how much? I don't want her to fill up on water instead of my milk. Just curious if anyone noticed a decrease in output? Worried as always!

Default Re: Worried if getting enough milk? Give water?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*k.c.smitty View Post
    We have been nursing a year. My dd nurses at least 4 x a day but her diapers hardly seem wet. Not great weight gain and I offer her to nurse more frequently. Only 1 pound 2 oz. From 9-12 months. I have never given any other fluids and just wondering if I should give some water. After one, is it wet diapers to tell if they are getting enough milk or # nursing sessions. If I do give water how much? I don't want her to fill up on water instead of my milk. Just curious if anyone noticed a decrease in output? Worried as always!
    It is a common concern.. not only "how do I know if my babe is getting enough" but also to notice what seems to be a decrease in output. Know that at certain point their bladder becomes more efficient at holding in urine so you wont see as much as often. Also - is it hot where you live? That could be part of it to - that she's using more of the fluid in her body. Are you seeing any signs of dehydration?

You said in 3 month she gained 18 oz. Average weight gain for her age is 2-4 oz per week. in 3 months there are approximately 12 weeks and if using that avereage we multiply 2/4 x 12 is would be 24 - 48 oz of weight gain one might see. But has she taken to crawling or walking? What has her gaining been like thus far. This link talks more about weight gain. Be sure to check out the growth charts as well to see where her weight falls on the charts that were made for breastfeeding babies... (they grow at a different rate than formula babies and those are the babies those charts were set to that they use at the docs office)

Water wouldnt be my first choice to give her (unless she was dehydrated and then I'd do other things)... can you pump at all?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I don't know what is wrong with giving sips of water, especially when they're eating solids.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I'd give her some water, especially along with her solids. Is there a reason you're worried that she'll fill up on water? Is she eating solids?