Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I think it's time

Default I think it's time

I love BF my son, it' created a wonderful bond between us and I enjoy our special time together. I've nursed him for 17 months but lately my breats are so sore from him. Lately when he nurses he gets easily distracted so when he does nurse during the day he doesn't stay latched on long, pops off to look around and latches again only to do what we call "baby yoga" while still on. It hurts and no matter what I've tried he just won't stay still.

He also tries to pull on my shirt to nurse while we're in public which is kind of embarassing to have my son lifting up my shirt for all to see. And lately he's started to bite... a lot. Not just when he's already latched but sometimes if I don't nurse him when he want's he will bite my nipple. And at night he wants to stay latched all night long (we co-sleep sometimes) and moves around a lot at night so I wake up super sore.

My breasts are constantly sore and I cringe everytime he latches on because he's so rough with him, I know he loves to nurse but I feel like it's time but I don't know where to start. I've tried to get him attached to a lovie but that hasn't worked, offering him a sippy instead doesn't distract him for long and he's never been interested in a paci. Any advice or tips would be helpful.
    I am Andrea a.k.a. the .

Mommy to DD Rowan 1-1-99, DS Ethan 4-7-02, and DS Logan 4-8-09.

Blessed to be with Chris, my best friend and we're very much .

We're and with our LO. Mommy and Daddy are and we it.

Starting to CD for the first time and loving it, it's SO addictive!!!

Default Re: I think it's time

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommyplunder View Post
    I love BF my son, it' created a wonderful bond between us and I enjoy our special time together. I've nursed him for 17 months but lately my breats are so sore from him. Lately when he nurses he gets easily distracted so when he does nurse during the day he doesn't stay latched on long, pops off to look around and latches again only to do what we call "baby yoga" while still on. It hurts and no matter what I've tried he just won't stay still.

He also tries to pull on my shirt to nurse while we're in public which is kind of embarassing to have my son lifting up my shirt for all to see. And lately he's started to bite... a lot. Not just when he's already latched but sometimes if I don't nurse him when he want's he will bite my nipple. And at night he wants to stay latched all night long (we co-sleep sometimes) and moves around a lot at night so I wake up super sore.

My breasts are constantly sore and I cringe everytime he latches on because he's so rough with him, I know he loves to nurse but I feel like it's time but I don't know where to start. I've tried to get him attached to a lovie but that hasn't worked, offering him a sippy instead doesn't distract him for long and he's never been interested in a paci. Any advice or tips would be helpful.
    Any chance you are pregnant with the intense soreness? Have you tried telling him to be still, then putting him down and closing up shop for a minute if he keeps moving?
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

If you want suggestions on the issues you are dealing with then I can offer some. They aren't regarding weaning however.

If you are set on weaning then I would suggest contacting your local LLL leader or IBCLC so you can learn the gentlest method available to you.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

The night weaning will be the hardest for us too. We co-sleep which means that DD wants to nurse every time she wakes up (sometimes just because I move a muscle). DH has taken the initiative to take DD in the middle of the night to walk her back to sleep. Then I have to sleep in the guest bed to keep her from wanting to wake up and nurse. I also find that she wants to nurse if her diaper is wet, as if nursing would take the wetness out of her pants. Then she won't stop sucking until I wake up and realize she wants a new diaper.