Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bad latch or something else?

Default bad latch or something else?

My LO is 4 months old and until now has breastfed without any major issues. In the last couple of days, though, it's begun to hurt when she nurses on the left side and this morning I noticed blisters which I haven't seen since she was a few weeks old. I haven't changed positions or anything else about how she nurses but I'm wondering if something has changed with her latch. Is that common? She is getting bigger so maybe that is affecting the latch? Or could it be something else? I'm using a gel pad and all purpose nipple cream to soothe the pain in the hopes that this will resolve itself.

Default Re: bad latch or something else?

I just saw a previous post about almost the same thing... I do have OALD but have always had it so I'm not convinced that would be the issue. Someone suggested teething... she hasn't shown any signs that she's teething but it could be that, I guess. She only does it on one side, though...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*coffeeplease View Post
    I just saw a previous post about almost the same thing... I do have OALD but have always had it so I'm not convinced that would be the issue. Someone suggested teething... she hasn't shown any signs that she's teething but it could be that, I guess. She only does it on one side, though...
    Any signs of thrush (link here and here)? Often nursing that has gone on pain free for an extended period of time only to end up in a painful place is thrush.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Maybe... now that I think about it, there has been some itching lately. I don't see the signs on LO, but I've read that babies don't always show signs of thrush. My OB prescribed the nipple cream for possible thrush a couple of months ago so I'll start using it again to see if that helps. If not, maybe I'll make a trip to see her. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*coffeeplease View Post
    Maybe... now that I think about it, there has been some itching lately. I don't see the signs on LO, but I've read that babies don't always show signs of thrush. My OB prescribed the nipple cream for possible thrush a couple of months ago so I'll start using it again to see if that helps. If not, maybe I'll make a trip to see her. Thanks for the suggestion!
    I hope it's as smiple as that and that it resolves quickly. This link offers more suggestions for treatment *if* it is thrush.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I hope so, too. Thanks for the link.