Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not serious about eating - Stop messing around!

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Not serious about eating - Stop messing around!

Every now and then, today included, my DS isn't serious about eating for the entire day. I almost feel like he latches on to "humor me". He sort of chews on my nipple, smiles, chews on it, smiles. Not chewing in a painful way, but chewing in a playful, totally not serious about eating way. "Stop messing around!" I say to him, and he smiles more.

I don't feel like he's had anything to eat today. I haven't felt actually sucking, nor heard actual swallowing. Just chewing, like he's going through the motions.

Does anyone else's LO ever do this? I assume he'll eat when he's hungry, so I'm not terribly worried, just perplexed.

Default Re: Not serious about eating - Stop messing around!

Somedays my DD does the same. I try not looking at her, which is hard because they are so cute and I also put a blanket over her. Then she can focus on the task at hand. Or I stop and try again later. Usually on days like that my lo is up all night eating. I'm sure your lo is getting more than you think, and I wouldn't worry as long as he has wets and dirties and is gaining. Good luck.

OMG - that sounds JUST like my DS... Not too long ago I posted a question about whether other LO's had good and bad eating days.

Today is not a good day - I worry myself to death on days like today b/c I don't see how he could possibly be getting enough to eat. He is a very quick eater to begin with (usually less than 5 minutes), but lately on days like today, he'll be on for like a minute! My LO is about 4.5 months old, and I am really starting to think he is teething and maybe thats why this is happening so much more frequently. He seems perfectly satisfied not to eat though - never a grumpy moment! Usually a 'not hungry' day is followed by an okay day though, but it worries me none the less.

So I guess this isn't really advice, but more to let you know that there are other little ones out there who do that! We can all worry together

Lisa

kristenco is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Quote Originally Posted by lf105 View Post
    OMG - that sounds JUST like my DS... Not too long ago I posted a question about whether other LO's had good and bad eating days.

Today is not a good day - I worry myself to death on days like today b/c I don't see how he could possibly be getting enough to eat. He is a very quick eater to begin with (usually less than 5 minutes), but lately on days like today, he'll be on for like a minute! My LO is about 4.5 months old, and I am really starting to think he is teething and maybe thats why this is happening so much more frequently. He seems perfectly satisfied not to eat though - never a grumpy moment! Usually a 'not hungry' day is followed by an okay day though, but it worries me none the less.
    So, your LO is about 2 weeks older than mine, and it sounds like your saying this is getting more frequent for you? GREAT! I wonder what the cause is. They're a little young for the high distractibility, aren't they? My last two kids were on a bottle by this time, so I'm now treading in new territory. I guess with a 17-pound 4- month-old, if Hayden decides not to eat for a couple days, he has plenty of fat stores to live off of! Ha!

I do remember your post about "good eating days" and "bad eating days", and I can totally relate now.... although two weeks ago when you made the post, I couldn't relate at all - ha!

So, moms.... is this just a phase, or is this the way it's going to be now?

Talking Re: Not serious about eating - Stop messing around!

If this "good eating and bad eating days" is the case, How worried should I be that my dd has only eaten a few minutes today? I can't seem to keep her intrested. This has been like this the last week and I am wondering if it gets better? I am worried that she is not getting enough to eat. This is one nutty stage!!! Lo is 4 months old!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikina View Post
    If this "good eating and bad eating days" is the case, How worried should I be that my dd has only eaten a few minutes today? I can't seem to keep her intrested. This has been like this the last week and I am wondering if it gets better? I am worried that she is not getting enough to eat. This is one nutty stage!!! Lo is 4 months old!

DS got his first tooth just before 4mos old. He started becoming really distracted about that age. The last 10 days he's been soooo distracted and crying when we nurse. I was wondering what was going on, and this morning I felt another tooth (this makes #3). Today he's nursed like a champ again.

Its so hard not to worry. I still worry and he's done this off and on for a while. I just feed him when he tells me that he's hungry. He usually nurses less than 10 minutes total...hardly ever takes both sides at one feeding. He just now nursed for 30 minutes, go figure...he's making up for lost time.

Just watch your baby. Once these teeth come in, things will get better. Just make sure there are enough poopy and wet diapers. If so, try not to sweat it.

Leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Unfortunately, yes my bad days have become much more frequent... although all the 'experts' I know (ie my Mum, sister, friends etc) say there is no way he's teething... I hope my LO proves them wrong hehe...

Kristen - sounds like you have nothing to worry about there! My LO was only just over 13 pounds at 4 months - pretty low on the charts for weight, yet the doctor and everyone else who has ever met my DS say he is thriving wonderfully... Still, when he is only gaining about a pound a month now, I worry that he can't afford to have bad days at this stage... (Cameron was only 6-14 at birth - two weeks early - so I try to tell myself that if he had held out till my due date he would weigh about 2 pounds more right now hehe - trying to make myself feel better). My little guy was born May 25th...

Funny how things change in just two weeks... he had about one or two days a week that I considered poor, now its every other day. As far as wet diapers go, he always seems to have the bare minimum... only time it is super duper heavy is first thing in the morning, otherwise the rest of the day they are all just moderately wet I'd say... again, my Doctor says he is fine. So why do I worry about it I wonder...

Lisa