Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Soapy Smell!?!?!?

Question Soapy Smell!?!?!?

Hi Everyone.. I have a 3 week old. It has been rough. I threaten to quit breastfeeding all of the time, and it has only been 3 weeks. My mom and several friends tell me to stick it out. The pain is incredible. And now, for some reason I smell SOAP!! It is making me so nauseated. Is this normal, or am I totally losing my mind? I did some reasearch and only found one thing on the internet about fat breaking down and it can smell that way sometimes. And as if all of that is not enough, Starting yesterday my son vomits ALL of his breastmilk up after I nurse him. I do 6 mins on, burp, 6 mins, burp, and then repeat. Is he too full? Is it something I ate? The pediatrician said his tummy was so full of gas, and now he is on gas drops 4 times a day. He screams in pain. I am just feeling so helpless now. I wish this would all start to get a little easier. Any help out there or words of wisdom would be great for this sleepy Brand New First time mommy.....

Default Re: Soapy Smell!?!?!?

Welcome. It WILL get easier. In about 3weeks. Hang on. And the spitting up is normal. It is much more tramatic for us then them. THe valves that hold everyhting in thier stomach are not well developed yet. Spit up is very common. It's more of a laundry problem than anything else. And You don't know how lucky you are to have family and frineds supporting the idea of you BFing thru this difficult beginning. So many women don't have it and they don't make it. Only to regret it later. I promise it gets easier in 3 weks. But if you need more motivation page on down to the board on women who are trying to relactate. They always make me grateful for what I have. Good Luck.

Is the soapy smell when he spits up? I really have no idea about what that could be (I am no kind of expert at all!) except medicine he is taking?

BUT, I do know it will get easier. This part is hard, you are doing great. It might take a few more weeks, but it will be better. I always compare it in my mind to the worst moments of labor when you think you are NO WAY going to do this... and you do! And of course, many of us go on to do it again, on purpose! Heaven help us. But, bf can feel like that too, like its just too hard, and then one day, its not.

If you are having a lot of pain, I would read around to get some suggestions on checking to see if he is latching on correctly.

I'll be interested to see if anyone has some thoughts on the soapy smell...mmm.

Hope things start to get easier soon. They will!

Jeanne

I had lots of issues at first too, luckily things have gotten a little better. I'm sure they will improve in time for you too!

Did you have a c-section by any chance? I did, and I had a strange, mediciney smell in my nose after the surgery and for a few days even after coming home. It was like the smell of the medicines they gave me and the sterilizing solutions was stuck in my nose. I was feeling very nauseated after a while because of it too, because it was like the hospital smell followed me home. I thought it would never wash off.

Good luck, and hold on!

I don't know about the soapy smell, but I can tell you just like the others have told you, that it will get better! My mom really encouraged me, and it took about 6 weeks for everything to finally start going smooth, but I promise it will get better. What really helped me, about 10 min before time to feed my daugher, I would take a really warm shower, and get out and feed her immedeatly and it helped a lot. I was taking lots of showers those first few weeks, but it was well worth it! Also, at wal-mart, they have a thing with the breastfeeding supplies that are called Soothies, and they were Heaven sent for me! I hope something I have said will help and encourage you! Good luck!

Sometimes when my son spits up, it smells to me like Dove or Ivory soap. I don't know if it has any meaning, but I'd agree with the description.

One of the things that surprised me is how challenging BFing can be--even though I read all the books beforehand. It takes time to get the hang of it (I still am and we're at 2.5 months). Hang in there.