Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to start the weaning process

Default Re: How to start the weaning process

Yeah, I was worried about weaning too, but I let him lead, and he'd want to eat more and more solids. He's down to nursing a few times a day, with various night nursings (depends on what's going on in his life). Even if I'm around during the day, he no longer wants to nurse as much.

I'm in a local mom's group, and the topic of weaning came up, and one mom shared how she weaned her daughter: mix up decaf coffee powder and put it on your nipples. She said her daughter screamed and cried, but after 2x, she no longer wanted to nurse. That just about broke my heart.

***edited to add***
    You might want to look at weight watchers' nursing plan. It gave me enough points to lose weight without compromising milk production. It also made me realize that I eat a lot of junk food, when I thought I had good eating habits.
    Last edited by @llli*smudgycat; September 29th, 2010 at 01:53 PM.
    Mom to:
    Johann, Born June 21, 2009 8lb, 7oz & 22in nursed until 2 years old
    Lydia, Born March 30, 2013 9lb, 5.6oz & 21.75 inches

Nursed through hypothryroidism, IGT, and a SNS both times around

Smudgycat: Moments where you want to say "give me your mom card, you no longer deserve to call yourself a mom." How awful!

I too was struggling with losing the last 20 pounds of pregnancy weight when I became pregnant with baby #2. So it looks like it may be a while before I can focus on my weight loss instead of my babies weight gain.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*smudgycat View Post
    I'm in a local mom's group, and the topic of weaning came up, and one mom shared how she weaned her daughter: mix up decaf coffee powder and put it on your nipples. She said her daughter screamed and cried, but after 2x, she no longer wanted to nurse. That just about broke my heart.
    sick mama.

i'd just say - don't wean for others. you know what's best for you in your heart.

I'm sorry you're dealing with GD... I really don't know a whole lot about that, so i won't give advice there

are you exercising at all? I found as soon as I started exercising the weight came off way quicker - even when it was just 20-30 minutes a day.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it