Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to start the weaning process

Default How to start the weaning process

I'm proud to say that I've EBF for 9 months and I feel sooooo incredibly blessed to have been able to EBF for this long. I currently work part time and pump the days I am at work. I have some minor health issues that require me to lose some more weight. Because of this, I wanted to wean by the time our son is one, because hopefully then too, I can try and get pg again. I HATE the fact that I am even talking about weaning because it makes me so sad to know that this will be over soon, and I just LOVE bfing. The bond we have created is so amazing, and I know all of you mothers know what I mean! I am almost in tears writing this. Time is flying by so incredibly fast!

I just don't know how to go about this whole process. I was told by our pedi to supplement one feeding a day, most likely the afternoon feeding with formula and let my body slowly reduce my milk supply. I do also notice my supply is slowing down in the afternoon. I don't even know what kind of formula to buy. Any suggestions? I really would like to use an organic formula, but again, I have no idea. Nothing will ever mimic breastmilk and I know that. I obviously want to still nurse at night since we co sleep and he still wakes up every few hours to nurse. Will my body just know to adjust?

Any help would be much appreciated! I value your opinions more than friends and such who have never breastfed and think that I can just stop on a dime!

I and we and I at work!

Birth - 8lbs 1 oz - 20 1/2 inches
    16 weeks - 16lbs 13 oz and 25 3/4 inches
    24 weeks - 19lbs and 27 1/4 inches
    9 months - 23lbs and 30 inches

Default Re: How to start the weaning process

9 months- way to go, Mama!!!

I'm not sure I understand why you need to wean. Are you going to be on a medication that's incompatible with breastfeeding? Or is it just the need to lose weight? If the latter, there's no way I'd wean! I know people say "Oh, you hang onto the baby weight when you nurse," but that is so much bullsnap. Producing breastmilk burns several hundred calories a day, so many moms lose weight while nursing. However, if you feel that isn't doing the trick for you, you can combine breastfeeding and weight loss. This book may help you come up with a nutrition and exercise plan than works for you: Eat Well, Lose Weight While Breastfeeding.

So if you read all the above, and still want to wean, your pediatrician's advice is good advice. The key to pleasant weaning is to go nice and slow. Drop one feeding (by replacing with formula as long as the baby is less than 1 year of age), wait a few days to allow your milk supply to adjust downward, and then drop another. You can certainly continue to night-nurse, since your body will produce milk when it is needed and much less when it isn't.

I, too, have absolutely no idea what sort of formula to use. But Diaperswappers has a formula-feeding support forum that might be a good source of advice.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I would ask your pediatrician. Usually they will recommend formula.

with what Mommal said. You may have to go through some trial and error with formula - some babies are choosy about taste.

WRT to TTC, most women regain their fertility in the first part of the second year of breastfeeding, so you may not have to stop BF'ing to get your cycle back. Or you could wait until one year and then wean. Usually, stopping day nursing, or night nursing, or getting the frequency down a bit, brings on a cycle for most women - it may happen even without that.

Also, I pump weaned - stopped pumping at work - around eleven months, but kept nursing the rest of the time, so that's also another option. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Just sayin'.

Good luck to you!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I'm confused--is your pedi recommending that solids not be introduced yet, at 9 months? I think that's the normal process of what essentially is weaning: adding a complimentary meal, and for bfing dyads who want to speed up the process for any reason, to substitute a nursing session for a high-quality meal.

LLL has lots of articles on how to increase fertility without weaning. Night weaning is often the ticket to regaining fertility. You might want to research Vitex/Chasteberry (KellyMom and other sources say it's safe while bfing) which a few mums on the forum here have used successfully to get AF back and got pg. Additionally, there are resources on natural family planning/TCOYF to better pinpoint ovulation.

I started work two weeks ago and with the return of bike commuting I am now wearing the same size as pre-pregnancy, despite eating Belgian chocolate and some other junky food like I usually do when working and biking. Breastfeeding has been a tremendous advantage for me to work off the baby weight, and put it where it belongs--on the baby. As Mommal said, there may be some other options out there than simply weaning. Since you're not enthusiastic about weaning, here's another vote of encouragement to see what other options are out there so you choose one that's really right for you and your family. Best of luck with TTC and becoming healthier too!
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

At 9 months there is no reason to replace and wean to formula. Personally if your goal is to wean by 1 then start working hard on solids. Replace with nutritious foods instead of formula.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Thanks ladies for your valuable advice! Our DS is on solids, all organic fruits, veggies, tofu and now we are starting some meats. I didn't even think that his solids would be increasing more and maybe that will help the natural weaning process. I do know though that BM still is the majority of his diet though so I will make sure that he is still getting enough ounces of BM a day. I am just stuck in this mindset of replacing BM with formula to wean by one. I think that there are alot of other people telling me that I've done enough by bfing and it's time to start weaning. I have to listen to my heart and do what is right for us. The thought of me stopping bfing, oh, it makes me sad! My DH and I were at BRU today and I just couldn't bring myself to buy any formula. I just couldn't do it. So, I am going to take your advice and just continue bfing, upping the solids and I think let him make his mind up on weaning. I had gestational diabetes and it was REALLY BAD as far as my sugars and I had to give 6 insulin injections a day..it was rough. I have this extra weight and my sugars are still a bit high, and I can't seem to drop this weight! I eat so healthy and the doctor is worried about me developing pre diabetes. When the weight comes off, he said he's sure my sugars will be better controlled. So, that was the issue with me losing weight. I am going to just start exercising more, and see how it goes. Since our son was born, I've just led with my heart and did what felt right for us, and I need to just continue nursing and doing what I love until HE is ready to stop! This is why I love this site. I get the right advice and encouragement that I need from other breastfeeding moms!
    Last edited by @llli*gavinsmommy71; September 25th, 2010 at 10:31 PM.
    Married my soul mate in 1999 Gave birth to our miracle baby 12/21/09

I and we and I at work!

Birth - 8lbs 1 oz - 20 1/2 inches
    16 weeks - 16lbs 13 oz and 25 3/4 inches
    24 weeks - 19lbs and 27 1/4 inches
    9 months - 23lbs and 30 inches

Good for you Momma! You can do this! And you have all the support you need here

Mama, if your doc is talking about pre-diabetes, have you been tested for polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)? Virtually all obese women have insulin resistance, and most overweight women do. Because insulin is similar to testosterone (which women normally produce in small amounts), insulin binds to molecules that are designed to clear testosterone from your syndrome, which leaves too much circulating testosterone, and can cause cystic ovaries. If you're insulin-resistant, it can be exceptionally difficult to lose weight. Treatment with metformin may help you manage insulin resistance and lose weight, and metformin is generally accepted to be compatible with breastfeeding. I'd ask your doc to look into PCOS.
    Last edited by @llli*manatee; September 27th, 2010 at 08:08 PM.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

I also thought I would breastfeed for a year max, and then lose the baby weight and get preggers again. but my dd was doing so well at bfing that I waited to wean until she was older and then before i knew it she was self feeding and she self weaned at 11 months. I was heart broken. I went on weight watchers, lost 20 lbs and got pregnant again.
    The point to my story is that I did not wean her. I did not spoon feed her. She did it all on her own when she was ready and it happened so fast.