Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: spit up

Default spit up

I'm just wondering if spitting up is normal for a BF baby, and what causes my LO to spit up occasionally, but not nearly as much as her formula fed cousin? Should I worry if she suddenly spits up 3 times in one day after not spitting up at all for weeks? I've heard it is from overeating, is this true?? Does anyone have any thoughts to offer?
    married to my best friend
    mama to two beautiful baby girls

7/4/2010 -- 7lbs 8oz, 20.5" -- my fireworks baby -- c-section
    4/7/2012 -- 7lbs 2oz, 20" -- my Easter baby -- natural vbac

nursed DD1 16 months and nursing DD2
    with our gDiapers!

Default Re: spit up

this might be helpful to you.

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBNovDec98p175.html

For most babies, spitting up is just part of a normal day's activities. "In a healthy baby," says LLL Medical Advisor Dr. Gregory White, "Spitting up is a laundry problem, not a medical problem."

My DS is a tiny volcano that spews barf instead of lava. He's otherwise healthy and happy and not in pain. It's a laundry problem for us.
    Proud mama to Ryan born 6-19-10

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
    - Anais Nin

Spit up is caused by the LES valve between the stomach and esophagus failing to constrict adequately, thus allowing stomach contents back up into the esophagus. MOST babies have an immature LES valve, which is why most babies spit up. If the spit up does not cause pain, significant discomfort, failure to thrive, weight loss, dehydration or significant sleep disruptions, then it is typically considered perfectly normal, and will usually be outgrown in a few months.

Here's another link that might interest you:
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

My son (who is now 8 months) was/is a huge spitter! But he falls into the "happy spitter" category. His weight gain has been good and no pain, and has the healthy amount of pee and poop, so no worries (and I mentioned it to the doc but he wasn't concerned either). Reading a bit about spit up helped ease my worries a bit (like the link to kellymom website).

My son would spit up so much... a few times after every feeding. So I constantly dressed him with a bib and went out and bought tons (24) of burp cloths (actually diapers, the prefold kind). Bibs and burp cloths were easier to have than to keep changing his cloths every time.

After I knew that it was just a laundry issue I didn't concern myself too much. Always made sure I didn't leave the house with at least two bibs and two burp clothes for every diaper I packed. And that was it. Whenever I let someone else hold my son I always give them the burp cloth first and warn them that he is a spiter.

I think the kellymom article gives some tips or suggestions of things to try and change. But being a new mom I was so overwhelmed with all of the other stuff, trying to get my son to stop spitting seemed like one battle I didn't want to try. So I have just dealt with the spit. I think I tried nursing him in an uphill manner (sorta reclining) ... but only tried that once because after he finished he spit up and it went straight down my shirt!

My pediatrician said the spit up should stop at 6 months. For my son it slowed down. He doesn't constantly wear a bib, but he does spit up from time to time. Maybe just 2 times a day.
    Children are a blessing from the Lord.
    Wife to my sweety & Mother to my son (Born January 2010)

I started to motherhood when my son first smiled at me, is my preferred method of transporting my son, was overwhelming at first but now enjoyable, and cloth diapering his & are my newest adventures!

Oh... and although I have seen significant decrease in the spit up of my son. As son as I mention to my husband "gee our son isn't spitting up as much"... then it seems as though the next week he starts spitting up again. I thought he was done spitting up finally about two weeks ago... but then the last couple days he has spit up a little again here and there. So maybe not yet. But certainly a lot less than before. My mom always said how much me and my siblings spit up. I would ask her when we stopped and she said "ooh you stopped eventually, can't remember when, but you don't spit up now so you stopped at one point".
    Children are a blessing from the Lord.
    Wife to my sweety & Mother to my son (Born January 2010)

I started to motherhood when my son first smiled at me, is my preferred method of transporting my son, was overwhelming at first but now enjoyable, and cloth diapering his & are my newest adventures!

Both my kids have been big spitters. DS1 wore a bib constantly his first few months because it was always flowing out of his mouth. It didn't bother him one bit. DS2 was as well, but although he didn't spit up as much he had the symptoms of painful reflux and went on meds for it. It really is completely normal and nothing to worry about as long as your LO isn't acting as though he/she is in pain.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine