Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What do you do with the extra?

Default What do you do with the extra?

For those of you who are pumping at all (especially if you're a working mom and pumping at work), what do you do with the extra milk?

I'm in a very difficult position right now with my milk. I'm still pumping almost twice what I need, and I'm slowly reducing my supply through careful pumping, since I work and have to pump 3x a day. I've gone from bringing home 20-25ozs home a day to 15-20, and the LO is currently eating 9ozs/day. Which makes for a LOT of milk.

My freezer is overflowing. It's a serious problem. I have literally hundreds of ounces in the freezer. I've lost count. We're considering buying a chest freezer, but that is really just delaying the decision - what to do with the extra milk?

Should I donate it/give it away? Should I keep storing it (rotating the stash as necessary) and eventually use it up when LO is a toddler and I've pump weaned? I can't stomach the idea of tossing it completely, so that's not an option.

Just wondering what other moms do/have done/would recommend.
    Alexis, a mama to Conor, 4/29/10

Default Re: What do you do with the extra?

DONATE!!!! If you have that much milk please seriously consider donating your milk through either a milk bank or something like milkshare. It would mean the world to someone.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It somewhat depends on how long you plan to pump and how much stored milk you anticipate needing for your LO (are you going to pump past 12 mo? want to provide breastmilk until age 2 but stop pumping sometime before that?).

Assuming that you are planning on continunig pumping for several more months but that you eventually want to pump wean, I would probably do a combination of donate and store/rotate. Probably could donate much of the stash you have now, particularly those bags that are within a month or so of 'expiring'. I did buy a smaller size chest freezer--besides being more space it will keep longer--and filled it mostly with milk, rotating it (I work fulltime and would usually send half of the bottles with fresh milk and half with milk from the freezer stash). Pumping really began to wear on me and I pump weaned at about 13 mo but because of the freezer, she was still able to have bm during the days for several more months.

DONATE DONATE DONATE !

See my siggie for HMBANA milk banks.

People also donate through Milk Share.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mima View Post
    It somewhat depends on how long you plan to pump and how much stored milk you anticipate needing for your LO (are you going to pump past 12 mo? want to provide breastmilk until age 2 but stop pumping sometime before that?).

Assuming that you are planning on continunig pumping for several more months but that you eventually want to pump wean, I would probably do a combination of donate and store/rotate. Probably could donate much of the stash you have now, particularly those bags that are within a month or so of 'expiring'. I did buy a smaller size chest freezer--besides being more space it will keep longer--and filled it mostly with milk, rotating it (I work fulltime and would usually send half of the bottles with fresh milk and half with milk from the freezer stash). Pumping really began to wear on me and I pump weaned at about 13 mo but because of the freezer, she was still able to have bm during the days for several more months.

I plan to BF until at least 2, but would like to pump wean by 1. What you did is my exact debate. I keep wondering if I should donate the milk (which I know people would desperately love), or if I should save it up for my own LO so that he can continue to have BM after I pump wean.
    Alexis, a mama to Conor, 4/29/10

Unless you're planning on sending EBM into day care with your LO until 2nd b-day .... you can pump wean AND continue to breastfeed for as long as you want.

I pump weaned en my older LO was 16 mo old. Since he is allergic to cows milk, at preschool he drank soy milk or water. DS1 continued to breastfeed until he was about 33 mo old and I lost my milk because I was pregnant.

My baby #2 just turned one. I plan to pump wean soon but will be breastfeeding for a looooooong time to come.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Donate! HMBANA and milkshare are in my siggy. HMBANA has very specific rules because the milk goes to preemies and very sick infants, so if you don't fit the requirements milkshare is a good option too!
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

I agree with the pp! DONATE!

Mom's of premies that need breastmilk will thank you for it! (ok, not directly b/c of privacy issues but you will know you are doing a great thing for baby that needs it).
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk