Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 month old - poor latch?!

Default 4 month old - poor latch?!

My DD just turned 4 months yesterday. She is a slow gainer 7lb 1oz at birth and last week she weighed 10lbs 7oz. Also last week we went through a few days of her acting hungry and becoming very frustrated at the breast everytime I tried to feed her. She feeds on demand which is usually every 2 hrs. When this was happening I pumped after every feed to keep/increase my supply. This seemed to help. Her diaper output is good, she is getting just the needed amount..
    The newest thing now is that she is starting to have a poor latch. I get her on right and then she slides down to only suck on my nipple, so I take her off and we keep trying to get it right but she gets increasingly frustrated with me. My nipples are starting to get sore and I am worried about cracking. I had a large crack when she was a newborn that took almost 8 weeks to heal!!
    I thought maybe she was just getting distracted during the day...I have a busy toddler...but she is also doing this now with her nighttime feeds. (She usually eats 3-4 times at night and they are great feeds). Her tongue is positioned right...
    I need help and encouragement. I live in a small community and the nearest LLL support is 5hrs away and my family physician is no help at all

Default Re: 4 month old - poor latch?!

Did she just start doing the latch thing after you started pumping after feedings? or was that before?
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

OP: i'm going through the same thing with DDs latch and fighting at the breast... sorry i don't have any advice.. but i'm going to follow this thead! the ladies here always have great ideas!
    i'm Kim, married to my DH since 8-3-02.
    this is my second attempt to bf after a breast reduction.
    Andrew Gage 6-5-04 ff
    John Michael 2-8-08 ff and bf until 7 mos
    Lillian Gianna 6-25-10 ebf since 11-12-10 thanks to the support and knowledge from this forum!

She started the poor latch after. I was not giving her the EBM in a bottle I was only pumping to maintain my supply while she was refusing the breast. I felt like she was getting frustrated that it wasn't comming fast enough so I thought giving a bottle would be counterproductive; she actually has never had a bottle...

I am wondering if when you pumped you may have pumped yourself into a little bit of an oversupply/OALD situation? And she is clamping down on the nipple to keep the milk from flowing so fast. Have you checked to see if when your milk lets down the milk squirts out? That is usually a good sign of OALD.
    Jessica

Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.

I never thought about OALD is that possible without having an oversupply? I will look into that!

do you mind if i enter a question of my own? i don't want to run away with your thread!
    Andrew Gage 6-5-04 ff
    Lillian Gianna 6-25-10 ebf since 11-12-10 thanks to the support and knowledge from this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*melissa1001 View Post
    I never thought about OALD is that possible without having an oversupply? I will look into that!
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html
    This link has some more info. If you don't think that you have an oversupply issue then I wouldn't go with the block feeding that the link suggests but what I would do is if you are getting milk squirting out during let down unlatch your DD and catch it in a cloth then latch her back on. That way she is not getting overwhelmed with milk at the beginning but you aren't decreasing your supply.
    Jessica

Thanks for the link. nosupermom...of course you can ask here!!

@melissa1001: thank you!!
    my question is since i don't have either oversupply or OALD, why would she be doing this? impatience waiting for second letdown? why all of a sudden? my DD is 3 mo BTW...
    Andrew Gage 6-5-04 ff