Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sweet breath

Default sweet breath

So I always thought that the sweet smelling breath was because of breastfeeding, but I started to wonder if it could be something more serious. Today after my 20mo son had a baggie of cheerios about a half hour later his breath smelled really sweet, sweeter than normal and an almost yeast alcohol sweet, so I looked up signs of diabetes and found that fruit/acetone smelling breath can be a sign, but a late sign. But he doesn't have too many other symptoms, he is not excessively thirsty, he can urinate frequently but I just thought it was normal since he doesn't have the best bladder control yet. And he has lots of energy-almost too much! But he is very tiny. And only has 6 teeth! So he still breastfeeds a lot.

Tell me I'm wrong!! Does anyone else have toddlers with that sweet smelling breath? I tried searching for juvenile diabetes and sweet breath and found almost nothing on these forums!
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12

Default Re: sweet breath

I don't have a toddler yet but I am type 1 diabetic. If you are truely concerned about your son being diabetic, I would say to schedule an appointment with his ped. The test should involve just a finger stick and some sort of urine sample. If nothing else it can take away any worry. I know diabetes can be missed so easily by parents so I always say to fall on the side of caution. If he doesn't have many other symptoms, it may be hard to get your doc to run the tests so depending on how truely worried you are, you may need to push it.
    I don't know if my breath smelled sweet before I was diagnosed when I was 18yrs old. I did have all the other symptoms though so I am pretty sure your son isn't diabetic if this is sweet breath is the only symptom. I just figure there isn't much harm in checking just in case.
    (i really hope this doesn't make you worry more. If you really aren't that concerned, than you can certainly wait to see if any other symptoms show up.)
    Married 9/17/2005
    Mother to Seamus born 3/9/2010 7lbs 9oz Still nursing with no end in sight!
    I love , , cloth diapers! with #2! Due 4/5/2012. for a Vbac!

My nephew is a Type 1 diabetic, diagnosed as an infant at around 2 months old. He had excessive urination to a degree that was just very unusual for my sister, who'd had one baby already. It is a simple test.

It is far, far better to know than to have a problem that is undiagnosed. I'm sure you know that untreated diabetes can pose significant risks to the vision and to the nerves in the extremities, among other issues.
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

Both of my kids (one breastfed but weaned, the other formula fed still) get sweet breath when they are sick. I will sniff their breath if they seem to be acting 'off' and it will often be an early indicator for me that they are about to have a fever.

It's weird, I know and I don't know why it happens but it does. My daughter had the sweet breath as a newborn and I thought it was from exclusive nursing. It wore off after a few months. But my son was also exclusively nursed as a newborn and he didn't have it at first. It wasn't until he got sick the first time that I smelled it on him.

Smells sort of like rubbing alcohol, but in a good way.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I understand the concern to just take him in to get his blood sugar tested, I think I will make an appointment, but I also think I was overreacting a bit, since its nothing new. He's always had sweet breath, it just seemed a little more than normal. I guess I was just wondering if ayone has a toddler with sweet breastmilk breath still since I know people on this forum do exclusive breastfeeding for much longer. I always attributed his breath to how clean his body is, as opposed to smelling bad.

Could it be because he still doesn't eat a ton of solids?

And thats interesting about the sweet smell before getting sick, I wonder why that is.
    Josiah born at home 1/26/2009, 50 months and counting , and Adlai born 6/26/12

I agree that if there is any concern of diabetes you should check with your doctor or at the very least do a home urine or blood sugar test.
    I was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic when I was 10.
    My aunt had a brother who was diabetic and was afraid to tell my mom that she thought I might have diabetes. So I was sick for several months, instead of getting an early diagnosis.

I went from 100 lbs to 60, could not stay awake, ate a ton of carbs, drank water constantly and peed constantly. I did have sweet smelling breath, but it wasn't one of the most noticeable things going on with me.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

DD has pleasant sweet smelling breath after she nurses in the morning, but she doesn't sit still long enough for me to smell it any other time.
    I'm Beth-
    Mama to L (7/14/09) and B (6/27/11).

My son's breath smells like fruit yogurt, usually after breastfeeding. Does that count?
    Proud Momma to Emmanuel Stephen (2/14/09).

22 months and counting!
    :

Yeah, Joe's breath always smells milky and sweet to me, much of the time but especially after nursing - but he still breastfeeds kind of a lot!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.