Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing Strike 8 months old

Default Nursing Strike 8 months old

Hello,

I have a 8 month old who has been on strike for two days. I have read old postings and have not seen anything dealing with the best way to give the child milk. Is it better to give them bottles or use a sippy cup. My daughter has been taking a bottle since 3 months old (I work p/t). Any suggestions? Also some of the lacation nurses have suggested not giving her any milk (seems kinda of over the edge to me) and others have said to give her a bottle/sippy cup everytime she refuses to nurse. What has worked for you all?

Thanks,

Giuli's mom

Default Re: Nursing Strike 8 months old

The thing that has worked best for us during nursing strikes (we've been through many, unfortunately) is having my little one nurse while sleepy or asleep. This meant, for us, nursing at nap times during the day and then throughout the night. This might not work for everyone, but many times a baby will nurse while sleepy/asleep even when they are refusing at all other times.

Other things to try to get the baby back to the breast:

• Try different nursing positions
    • Nurse while walking or rocking baby
    • Take a warm bath together.
    • Pay extra attention to the baby with lots of skin to skin contact.
    • Hold the baby in a sling or carrier between attempts to nurse.
    • Sleep together, with skin to skin contact so baby has easy access to the breast.

Find more information on strikes HERE. And also HERE.

For feeding your baby I'll let another mom who uses bottles comment on that. Since you've already been using a bottle for many months, it doesn't seem to me that she'd all of a sudden develop a preference for the bottle (nipple confusion). Sorry I couldn't help with that... hoping another mom chimes in now that your post has been "bumped" up! Hang in there ... I know it's frustrating, heart breaking and difficult to experience a strike ... I've been there and I understand. But you'll get through this! Please post back and let us know how things are going for you now.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

If you do use a bottle after attempts at nursing use a slow flow one. Other mamas who've bottle fed and gone through strikes?

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Sorry I haven't been around much, but I have a lot of experience with nursing strikes, and we have been bottle feeding since dd was six weeks (she is now, today, 10 months!). I usually go with my gut...the reason a baby strikes is generally not nipple confusion, but it may lead to a baby not coming back to the breast if a bottle is offered, and especially if that bottle is easier. Sometimes, I have no choice but to let the sitter give her a bottle, because I am away working and can't run to there to feed her, and she really doesn't drink mommy's milk out of a sippy. And she is an absolute bear when she is hungry!

I absolutely never give her a botte, though, or milk by any other method, when she is with me, unless it comes directly from the source. I figure she will eat if she gets hungry enough, and ime she does. As p-t-m stated, we nurse when she is sleepy (usually upon waking from a nap). And if I can, I will go to the sitters to feed her instead of letting sitter give her a bottle...I just really try to encourage her to breastfeed!

I am soo sorry you have to go through this! These times are so trying on us mommies. Remember, your lo is not striking because of you!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes