Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gassy and Fussy, something I'm eating?

Default Gassy and Fussy, something I'm eating?

So my little guy is one month old. He is very gassy and fussy a lot, acts like he's in pain from the gass. He also spits up quite a bit at times... less if I make sure to burp him plenty and often. I've tried the moby but in reality he really doesn't like it unless I can get him asleep in it. Natural tummy soother seems to help him out a little bit but not much. The only thing that seems to work is a technique I learned where you cross his legs back and forth so they go indian style.. and you just keep repeating that slowly and rythmically. He hadn't pooped since yesterday and was very gassy. Doing this leg move got lots of gass out of him and he finally pooped again a bunch!

So, could it be something I"m eating? I took him to get him weighed at the hospital breastfeeding support group. He was 9 lbs 8 oz at birth, 9 lbs at 4 days old, and now at 1 month he is just over 12 lbs. He only got a little over 1 ounce when I nursed him. The lactation consultant said that I could have very rich milk.

I spoke to her about his gass problems. She suggested burping him halfway between a feeding. That helps a tiny bit with spit up. But she did mention that if nothing else is doing the trick she would suggest cutting dairy. Do you think that's it? I am a big dairy eater. If I do cut dairy what all do I need to cut? ALL dairy (cooked in foods, too) or just major dairy products? How soon will I see results if this is the problem?

**Edited to say that I try to nurse him at only one breast per feeding, but he feeds so often they all kind of mesh into one.
    Last edited by @llli*peetred; September 22nd, 2010 at 11:11 PM.
    Vanessa, wife to Adam, mom to Gregory (4, BF 14 mo), Ezekiel (2, BF 12 mo), and my nursling Edward (8/23/10).

Default Re: Gassy and Fussy, something I'm eating?

when he does poop what does it look like?
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Yellowish brown and liquidy.
    Vanessa, wife to Adam, mom to Gregory (4, BF 14 mo), Ezekiel (2, BF 12 mo), and my nursling Edward (8/23/10).

usually if you have some sort of sensativity happening babies poops will be green/mucousy/bloody. This link has more info about gassiness.
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/gassybaby.html
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )