Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 mth old stopped nursing-how much should I be pumping?

Default 10 mth old stopped nursing-how much should I be pumping?

Its been a rough road with DD2, she started refusing to nurse at 2 mths due to severe GERD (reflux). No medicine or medical treatment ever fixed it for her and we have been sleep feeding or nursing to sleep for the last 8 mths. Now, all of a sudden, she won't nurse to sleep anymore. I have always pumped after she feeds since sleep feeding did not seem to remove the milk completely. Until a few days ago, she nursed at 10 am, 2:30 pm, 8 pm, and 2 am and I pumped all 4 times. She is still occasionally taking it in the morning but I don't think it will last long. I would like to keep giving her my milk for as long as I can so my questions are:

Do I need to pump extra times to maintain the supply?

Can I stop pumping at 2 am and just pump at 11 pm before bed or is 11 hrs too long in between? So I would pump at 10 am, 2:30 pm, 8 pm, and 11 pm

How long should I be pumping each time since its no longer just to finish emptying after she has eaten?

Is it really possible to maintain the supply for a long period with no real nursing?

I suppose I am lucky at pumping, when she has skipped sessions the last few days, I get between 6-9 oz when I pump. I also have about 500 oz in the freezer from all these months of pumping after she ate so I can certainly get her breastmilk till a year, maybe longer.

This has been heartbreaking for me, I love nursing and wanted to nurse her forever as she is our last child. DD1 loved nursing and self-weaned at 27 mths so I feel like i have let her down but it is her choice and I can't make her do it. I have done everything possible to keep her nursing and now she just won't take it.

Thanks!
    Aileen
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Default Re: 10 mth old stopped nursing-how much should I be pumping?

Is she refusing to nurse entirely or is she just cutting back on nursing? what does she do when you offer to nurse her? Is she actively refusing or is she just distracted? this link has some more info on distractions.
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ible-baby.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/babyselfwean.html
    As for the pumping I would keep pumping if you can but I wouldn't drop the night session. I would think you could move it to later in the morning- like 6 am instead of 2 am but I wouldn't drop it because 11 hours is a long time to go without emptying the breast. Pump till you are not getting anymore milk out- usually 15 to 20 minutes.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

I don't know your history with the reflux, but my immediate question was whether there was anything else that could be pursued, or re-try some of what may not have worked in the past?
    First-time mom to Little Manatee (1/7/2010)

Nursed for 3 1/2 years!

My little boy is my everything.

We have tried every medication, she sees a ped GI and they are stumped as well but won't do anything drastic as she is still gaining, at least for now.

She is totally refusing to nurse except for about 5 min in the morning and we are barely getting any milk into her, maybe 10 oz most days, today was the best at 13 oz. I would love for her to nurse again but it doesn't look like she will right now. I have been in tears every night this week
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Mama. Giant to you. I have a friend whose son went on a nursing strike at 10 months. She tried everything and he wouldn't go back to the breast. She told me she did a lot of crying before deciding to pump, which she did very successfully. I bet you can, too.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

One of the health nurses here told me that if you have 4 good feedings (or pumping sessions) within 24 hrs then you can keep up your supply. Hang in there!
    I my LLL meetings and this forum! Without them I wouldn't have been able to deal with poor latch, mastitis, over supply or thrush. Make a goal and stick with it! After many hurdles, I my baby boy, born all naturally 01/23/2010.

Birth Weight: 7lbs 15ozs
    6 Weeks: 11lbs 2ozs
    9 Weeks: 14lbs 0oz
    12 Weeks: 15lbs 3ozs
    4 Months: 16lbs 10ozs
    5.5 Months: 19lbs 1oz
    6.5 Months: 20lbs 0oz