Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Leaking milk 3 weeks prior to birth

Default Leaking milk 3 weeks prior to birth

My little guy is breech so a c-section is scheduled for 2 weeks from now. I am determined to BF and I know that having a c-section could give some difficulties.

I have been leaking some milk or colostrum for a week. Does leaking milk prior to birth give any prediction or indication about milk production after birth?

Default Re: Leaking milk 3 weeks prior to birth

Welcome and congratulations on the baby to come!

What you're leaking is probably colostrum (it's kind of a clear golden fluid, right?), and it is an excellent sign that everything is proceeding as it should. However, plenty of moms never leak colostrum, so you wouldn't have to worry if you weren't seeing it (or if you suddenly stop seeing it). Leaking colostrum doesn't tell you anything about how much milk you will produce. But as long as you nurse on demand and do not supplement with formula, there is every reason to think that you will make the right amount of milk for your baby.

I'm sure you and your provider(s) have discussed the fine points of breech presentation at term and the risks of cesarean birth- well, I hope so, anyway. I don't mean to offend in any way, but since so many moms are underinformed by their doctors about their choices when it comes to birth, I have a few questions and links for you. First, have you and your care provider(s) discussed the possibility of turning the baby via external cephalic version instead of proceeding straight to c-section? There's a pretty high success rate. Second, has anyone suggested trying the tips from Spinning Babies in order to get a breech baby to turn? Third, have you and your provider(s) discussed the possibility of delivering the baby vaginally despite a breech presentation (it can be done- check out the Coalition for Breech Birth- but you need to find a doctor or midwife who if familiar with the vanishing art of delivering a vaginal breech). Fourth, has anyone discussed the risks of cesarean delivery with you? (I really don't mean to sound patronizing or like I'm critiquing your birth choices, but I have heard from so many moms "No-one ever told me that I would experience x, y, z due to the c-section!" that I want to make sure you've been fully informed what's involved!) There are a lot of moms who birthed via c-section here, and they are an amazing resource if you have any questions- I suggest posting in the "Pregnancy and Birth Options" forum further down the page. Fifth and finally, you say that you have a scheduled c-section 2 weeks from now. You'll be >39 weeks along at that time, right? If not, I urge you to consider waiting until at least 39 weeks before proceeding with a c-section (this article explains why).

Thank you for all that info. The csection is schedule for 39 weeks and 1day as my doctor also states she will not a csection prior to 39 weeks. Unfortunately with the complications I have had an ECV is not a safe option. My water is on the low side despite my massive hydration and I have had BP problems.

But the csection will be done with an epidural so I will tell the staff I want to try to nurse right away when it is safe. If he has to go to NICU for breathing problems, I will have to wait.

this should be helpful to you:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/con...c-section.html

check out the other links to at the bottom of that one.

IF you have any other ?'s don't be afraid to ask...

The csection is schedule for 39 weeks and 1day as my doctor also states she will not a csection prior to 39 weeks.
    Yay!!! I can't tell you how many times I've heard "My doc is scheduling the c-section for 38 weeks (or even 37 weeks) because that's term."

Unfortunately with the complications I have had an ECV is not a safe option. My water is on the low side despite my massive hydration and I have had BP problems.
    Sorry to hear that, Mama! I'd try the Spinning Babies tips in that case- you never know! I have a friend whose baby turned at 38 weeks, the very day the ECV was scheduled.

But the csection will be done with an epidural so I will tell the staff I want to try to nurse right away when it is safe. If he has to go to NICU for breathing problems, I will have to wait.
    Have you discussed with the staff/your baby's pediatrician how/if the baby will be fed if he has to go to the NICU? Bottles? Syringe? Formula? Donor milk?

One thing you might want to consider doing is telling the staff to delay the baby's first bath until you have a chance to do it, or at least to leave his hands unwashed. The breast gives off a smell similar to amniotic fluid, and babies will sniff their hands (which, if they're unwashed, smell like amniotic fluid) and then use that cue to help them find and latch onto the breast. This isn't a big deal if you're able to nurse right away, but if there's a separation (like if the baby has to go to the NICU), leaving his hands unwashed might help him when the time comes to nurse.