Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: lots of questions

Default lots of questions

We made it to a year!!! Nursing is the hardest and most rewarding thing I have ever done in my life. I have tons of questions about what to expect. My DD nurses about 4 times a day and once a night. She does OK with solids, but not great. I have noticed her diapers are not nearly as wet as they used to be. I do not give her any water or juice. I am so neurotic that I actually weighed a days worth of diapers and found that she is only getting about 9 oz. That does not seem like enough. She only gained 1 lb. between her 9 month and 12 month visit. She is 19 lbs. 2 oz. The ped is not worried, but I am! I still pump twice while at work and get about 6 ounces for 2 pumping sessions in 12 hours. I just really do not know what to expect. If you give whole milk, you are supposed to give 12-16 oz. So this is why I think she is not getting enough BM or is it like formula? Seems like a bigger volume. Hope this makes sense. I am just worried. I would love to stop pumping at work, but worry about supply. Any insight about what to expect would be appreciated. I offer to BF on demand, but she has never been one to let me know when she wants to, I just offer and she takes if she wishes. WE nurse first thing in AM. Before AM nap. Before afternoon nap, bedtime and once in MOTN. I am hesistant to give water or juice as I feel this will make her nurse even less.

Default Re: lots of questions

I've always heard that, after a year, if you are BF'ing at least four times a day, you don't need to offer any milk or formula. However, if you're only nursing 4x a day, and you're thinking of pump weaning (taking away two of those sessions during the week), you would definitely have to give cow's milk or formula, at least while you are gone during the day. Many women can just nurse a couple times a day indefinitely, but if you had issues with supply to begin with, it could start you down the road to weaning.

You might find that her nursing steps up soon - many babies become less distractible and want to nurse more frequently around a year. My baby went from being impossible to nurse during the day to being super snuggly and into nursing around 13 months. So things will keep changing out. With the schedule you are describing, I would be hesitant to entirely pump wean right away (if you want to keep nursing, that is), but you might be able to get away with one pumping session a day?

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

for making it to a year!! Congrats!

After one year nursing can be what you make it. Many mommas pump wean and that's okay. It's fine to give water and actually you baby will probably need some now. Juice is your call. My LO gets diluted juice (2oz juice and 2oz water) once or sometimes twice a day, I also add his mulit to it. But it's not necessary. Neither is cow milk. But if you don't have allergies in your family you may want to try it.

Most bf'd babies are not taking in a ton of solids at one year. That's totally normal. During the next 12 months you will probably see an increase in her interest in solids. Just keep offering them every day at breakfast, lunch and dinner with a few snacks in between. You don't have to give a ton of cow milk if they are eating other fat, calcium and vitamin D rich foods like yogurt and cheese.

Keep offering the breast when you are together. There isn't any reason that offering solids or liquids will cause your baby to nurse less. Nursing isn't just for nutrition it's also for comfort and reconnection. After one year I like to think of breast milk as a highly nutritious smoothie. It just adds to and rounds out their daily intake.

The composition of breastmilk changes as your baby grows. When you baby becomes a toddler your milk will condense and the nutrients and antibodies in it will all still be there but there will be less volume. This is totally normal. It doesn't mean that your baby won't get enough.

Here is a link to a ton of info on extended nursing

http://whale.to/a/extended_breastfeeding.html
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

my Lo is 20 months arnd we only nurse twice a day but my MW told me my milk is all loaded up.. he does get diluted very!! juice in the mornings since he gets a little stopped up and he gets water.. but he eats tons of yogurt and cheese and broccoli so my pedi told me not to worry if he doesn't drink milk because he is getting his source from other calcium rich foods..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

I'm learning here too - thanks ladies!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Congratulations!

Would you offer her sips of water from your glass if you're worried about dehydration? I would keep offering her your breast and I'm sure she'll keep finding solids she likes and eating more (although I find that solids vary so much from meal to meal and day to day in terms of what and how much my dd eats!)

I don't think weighing diapers is the most accurate way to judge how much she is getting, though. She loses water through breathing, sweating, etc...no one urinates exactly what they drink.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

If you are still getting 3oz per session your child is getting way more than 9oz of breastmilk a day. Diapers have the WASTE in them. What doesn't get absorbed. Which is a FRACTION of what they take in. As long as you are still nursing 3-5 times a day you don't need to offer up cows milk. The recommendation on cows milk is about the assumption that you will WEAN at the year point. Breastmilk is much higher in fat and calories than cow's milk. Not to mention much more absorbable. And as long as you have been nursing for at least a year you can trust your body to produce milk on demandfor your child. So don't worry and feel free to pump wean anytime!
    Oh, and I always offered water with solids because I wanted my son to get into the habit of drinking water with meals.

Way too lazy for formula

That is really encouraging. I only pump once at work now but get 3 to 3.5 oz then and my dd nurses so much at night and also whenever she wants during the day. She takes sips of my water and also takes some water in a sippy cup.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Thanks for all the advice and reassurance ladies! I feel so much better. I think I will start to give her a bit of water with her meals. She loves her straw cup. So glad to be a part of this forum!