Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Crying after nursing

Unhappy Crying after nursing

My son is 3 months now and BFing has been going pretty good. I have been concerned for awhile that he has some reflux. It's not normal for a baby to cry and sometimes scream after nursing, is it? It seems like he should be happy with a full tummy! He's been doing this for a long time. I asked the pedi about it but she said it was normal and all babies have some reflux. I totally get that but it bothers me that my baby isn't happy after he nurses. It doesn't happen every time but when it does it makes me so sad! He does also spit up quite a bit and will sometimes cry until he spits up and will be a little better afterwards. He is gaining weight and making plenty of wet diapers so that is not a concern. Im just not sure if I should go back to pedi or just continue what we've been doing. I know he should eventually grow out of it but can undiagnosed reflux cause problems later? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Default Re: Crying after nursing

Reflux, food intolerance (to something you are eating), allergies, and gas are among some of the more common causes for what you describe. While all babies have some normal reflux (ie, their LES valve is not tight and so they spit up) signs of pain related to it ARE NOT NORMAL. Basically, if a baby is spitting up a lot but is happy and gaining weight and there are no other concerns, then there is no problem. If, however, there is pain, or other concerns (like weight loss, failure to thrive, sleep disruption, choking, etc) then there is a problem that should be at least explored to everyone's satisfaction.

You can try, if you haven't already, eliminating some of the most common food offenders from you diet (you can find more info at
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...nsitivity.html

You might also try burping during nursing sessions to lesson built up gas.

As for reflux, there are long term concerns related to untreated reflux, so I would encourage you to educate yourself about the signs and symptoms
    (http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html) and then approach you child's doctor about it. Some pediatricians believe that if there isn't a problem with failure to gain weight, there isn't a reflux problem, but I can assure you that that is not true.... Let me know if you want more resources about reflux.
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

I totally agree with lorenzomama! Trust your instinct...if your baby is in pain, that is not normal! Take him to the pediatrician.

Thank you! I will definitely follow up.