Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fenugreek capsules Vs the seeds

Default Fenugreek capsules Vs the seeds

Hi,

I use a lot of fenugreek seeds in my cooking at home (Indian Food). What is the difference between the capsules and the seeds? I would feel much more comfortable using the seeds rather than the capsules, if I had a choice, since I know that so far I have never reacted badly to the seeds and they actually help with digestion and stuff. Plus I wouldn't have to spend a tonne of money on the exotic medicine

Thanks,

Vidhya

Default Re: Fenugreek capsules Vs the seeds

I don’t think there’s much difference in whether you use the seeds or the capsules. What makes the difference is the dosage of each. According to this Fenugreek link, if you take the seeds or powder form Fenugreek, you should take the following:
    • 1/2 - 1 teaspoon, 3 times per day
    • 1 capsule = 1/4 teaspoon
    • can be mixed with a little water or juice

...on the other hand, if you take the capsules (580-610 mg), you should take the following:
    • 2-4 capsules, 3 times per day
    • 6-12 capsules (total) per day
    • ~1200-2400 mg, 3 times per day (3.5-7.3 grams/day)

So if you follow the above guidelines whether you take the seeds or capsules, you should be fine. “Dosages of less than 6 capsules/day (approx 3500 mg/day) produce no effect in many women. One way to determine if you're taking the correct dosage is to slowly increase the amount of fenugreek until your sweat and urine begin to smell like maple syrup.”

HTH!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

Duh - I didn't scroll down far enough - I checked that link you sent me in response to another post I had made. Thanks. That's actually not a whole lot of fenugreek I guess - so I can probably go for it asap. Powdering it and adding it to juice sounds like a great idea.

Thanks a lot!

How do you prepare the fenugreek in cooking?
    I'm really interested on how to use the fenugreek. Any recipes you would like to share?

To use fenugreek in cooking - caveat - we are speaking Indian cooking here. For most of my non-sweet (spicy or savoury) recipes (you can do curries, maybe pasta sauces, risottos, etc), I usually dry-roast a teaspoon to a tablespoon full of fenugreek till it turns darker brown and then grind it into a powder and just add it in about half way through the cooking. It adds a little bit of taste and lot of yummy smell.

I was imagining doing something similar with OJ or lemonade. It would be pretty good I think.

Where can you purchase the fenugreek at?