Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low milk supply

Red face Low milk supply

I just recently had my third child on Sept 21, Alex, 10 lbs. 2 oz. He is now 5 weeks old and I am still having challenges nursing him. He has no problem latching on or sucking, in fact, he is very good at it. I think the problem is with me and my production. When I pump, I can only produce about 2 ounces at a time, so I am not able to build up the supply and freeze it like I wanted. Alex is contstantly wanting to nurse. All the time. Whenever we finish nursing he still acts hungry or that he has not been satisfied, he still tries to root on me or will suck at his fists. I was not successful with nursing my other two children and would really like to make this one work and have some questions. Is it too late to really get a good pattern of nursing down? Is it too late to make my supply bigger? I have been supplementing with formula, only because he doesn't seem satisfied and he is gaining weight. When we weighed him last at the doctors a week and a half ago he was 11 lbs. 9 oz. I talked to my doctor about my supply issues and was given a support group to go to but they only meet once a week and this week we had a blizzard and couldn't get out of the house and I am concerned that it might be too late? Help!!

Default Re: Low milk supply

Hi Charlotte,

Congratulations on your baby boy! I am so happy you found the Mother to Mother forums. This is a great place to get the information and support you need to successfully breastfed .
    It might ease your mind to know that a baby that nurses "all the time" isn't necessarily an indicator that you are not producing enough milk for him. For one thing, babies need to suck, and some babies have a stronger need to suck than others. Breastfeeding meets this need.
    It is also good to remember that breastfeeding is one of nature's most perfect examples of the law of supply and demand. The more baby nurses, the more milk you will make. At five weeks old, your son is likely approaching his first growth spirt. Babies who are growing seem to nurse constantly for a period of time. This builds mama's milk supply, and then, they can go back to a more relaxed nursing pattern.
    You should also know that pump output is not a good indicator of milk production. Babies are infintely better at removing milk from the breast than pumps are. Many mamas with abundant supplies are never able to pump much. A better indicator is diaper output. Baby should be having 6-8 wet cloth diapers per day (5-6 really wet disposables) and about 3 bms per day.

It is certainly not too late for you and Alex to have a successful breastfeeding relationship. It actually sounds to me like thing are going rather well. I can understand though, how you might have anxiety, seeing as breastfeeding didn't work out for you the first two times around. The best way to make sure you have enough milk is to just nurse, nurse, nurse.

HTH,

Tiana

Hi, it is good you found this forum. I have been encouraged through it countless times. My son is eight weeks old and he is the same with nursing. He`s been feeding almost non-stop since week 2. I was also supplementing at the beginning until I finally figured out that he was gaining well without the supplements also. Just kept watching the diaper output. A growth spurt usually lasts only a few days to a week, but my son has been this way for the longest time. Some babies just like to nurse a lot. They like to be close to mommy. And I actually have a better supply since I stopped supplementing.
    Keep up the good work
    Peace

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

the more formula you give him, the less BM your body will make. it is NOT too late! just let him nurse constantly for a week or 2, until your supply is back up. and check the other threads here for advice on fenugreek, etc.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

Smile Re: Low milk supply

Hi all!! I want to thank you all for your kind words of wisdom. I have just let him go and nurse whenever he wants to and he has taken full advantage. We have even been co-habitating since birth and so far, I don't see a difference in my supply as of yet, but I'm sure it will take a little more time. I do have another question, though. What are the thoughts on giving a breastfed baby a pacifier? Does that go against what we are working towards? My other two children were fed with formula and never wanted a pacifier and so far Alex is not really wanting to have anything to do with it. I just thought that might help soothe him a little bit.
    Thanks again and Happy Halloween

That's awesome news, Charlotte! Good for you, mama!

As a general rule, if you are concerned about low milk supply, pacifiers are better to be avoided. If baby needs comfort sucking, it should be done at the breast.

That being said, judicious use of a pacifier at times when you absolutely can't nurse him (such as while you are driving and he is in his carseat), might be okay. Pacifiers can lead to suck confusion, too, which is another thing to consider.

Anyway, just a few thoughts, FWIW.

Peace,

Tiana