Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Painful letdowns

Default Painful letdowns

My LO is 6 months old (in 4 days, yey, I did it - 6 mo exclusive bf!).
    My letdowns are still rather painful. I can feel the letdown every time and it hurts Also, every time I have a letdown, the boob he is not nursing on leaks.
    Is this normal? Should I worry about it?
    I also still have the oversupply, often wake up in the middle of the night in serious discomfort... I thought it was all supposed to correct itself by now...
    First time mommy to a wonderful baby boy, Kai, 3/26/2010
    Birth Weight: 7lb 8oz
    1 month: 9lb 6oz
    3 months: 13lb 10oz
    6 months: 17lb 1oz
    9 months: 19lb 13oz
    12 months: 21lb

We are , love to , cloth diapering that and taking him with us everywhere.

Default Re: Painful letdowns

The time it takes for supply to regulate is different for everyone. and for women that have an oversupply it generally takes longer. I don't really have a lot of advice about it- there are things that you can do including block feeding, herbs and such if you are really interested in decreasing your supply. I have found however that my oversupply really only went away around 9 months when I cut back pumping at work. Are you pumping at all?
    as for the painful letdown those too will get better with time- I still get a tingly feeling during letdown now at 18 months but no where near what it used to be.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rcsmom View Post
    The time it takes for supply to regulate is different for everyone. and for women that have an oversupply it generally takes longer. I don't really have a lot of advice about it- there are things that you can do including block feeding, herbs and such if you are really interested in decreasing your supply. I have found however that my oversupply really only went away around 9 months when I cut back pumping at work. Are you pumping at all?
    as for the painful letdown those too will get better with time- I still get a tingly feeling during letdown now at 18 months but no where near what it used to be.
    as usual. If you don't get too many replies to your post it's because she said it all!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks ladies.
    I am pumping - but only at work when I need to replace the nursings (I am only in the office 2-3 days a week, and usually not full days, I work mostly from home).
    <sigh> Well, I guess I should just wait... I never thought I would nurse that long to begin with

I still get tingly let downs (though not painful) and I still leak out the other side and my guy is 8 months. I don't have oversupply either (but I do have OALD).
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Funny, I posted something VERY SIMILAR about six months ago! I'm like, anyone still have painful letdowns and leaking at a year?

I got a few yeses, mostly from fellow OS/OALD sufferers. (I think intense letdown sensations are a symptom of OALD.)

So, yeah. I think it's normal?

At seventeen months, I barely notice my letdowns anymore - there is still a dull ache, but the pain has lessened considerably. So hang in there!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I wouldn't say mine are painful, but definitely uncomfortable and I hate the feeling of let-down if the baby is not nursing. I always leak on the other side too. I usually just apply pressure to the leaking side to keep from leaking.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Thanks ladies!
    I guess it just helps to hear that I am not alone in this and it is normal

I really don't like it Especially when I wake up in the middle of the night cause I got a letdown and it hurts and I'm in a small puddle of warm milk... delightful

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elesha View Post
    Thanks ladies!
    Especially when I wake up in the middle of the night cause I got a letdown and it hurts and I'm in a small puddle of warm milk... delightful
    I don't know if you have tried bra pads or not, but I've been using Lansinoh disposable bra pads since my DS was born. I love them!!! I actually wear them all day and through the night because I also leak at every let down and during the night. I never have leaks through my clothes or in my bed. Just a thought. Also, if you don't want the expense of buying bra pads every month they do make washable ones...
    Mommy to Cole born April 10, 2010 BF for 11 1/2 months!
    DD, Ayla, born August 16, 2012.
    Birth weight-6lbs 3oz
    Weight leaving hospital-5lbs 14oz
    1 Week-6lbs 9 oz