Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this normal?

Default Is this normal?

My breast become very full late night/early morning hours but in the evenings I feel very deflated and that's when he wants to nurse the most....he seems to nurse every hr after 4pm and store up for a 5-7hrs stretch of sleep after 9pm. I know it's natural to be more full in the mornings but will my body adjust and fill up more in the evenings? He always only nurses 1 breast at a time and only for about 8 to 10min. He also is colicky crying from 6 to 9pm.
    He has plenty wet/dirty diapers so I think he is getting enough but what if the reason he is fussy in the evenings and nurses every hr is bc each feeding isn't satisfying?

Also if he sleeps from 9pm to 4am can this cause my supply to decrease? should I wake and pump...that will suck bc I need the sleep after dealing w hrs of colic.

He is 6wks old and has pretty much always slept 1 5hr stretch at night but now it's increasing. I don't want it to hurt my supply. I am paranoid about my supply bc with my 1st son my milk never came in and I was devastated and I am so happy I am able to nurse this guy.

When is a average age when they start 2 boobing it or is it diff for each baby? He's a big guy was 10.4 at birth and prob about 14lbs now. You'd think he'd need more than 1 breast for 10min.
    1 reason I started only offering 1 breast was for the colic in case he was getting to much foremilk. and I'll block feed offering the same breast for a 2hr period in the evenings. Is there anything else I shld or shldnt be doing?
    Last edited by @llli*nikkimommy; September 22nd, 2010 at 08:36 AM.

Default Re: Is this normal?

I don't have advice, but I can tell you what I have experienced. My son slept through the night at that age and I never woke him to nurse nor did I pump in the night. My supply is just fine. My son also nursed A LOT in the evening, and from what I have read that is fairly common esp for a LO that sleeps through the night. My doctor calls it "tanking up for the big sleep"

My DS doesn't sleep well during the day, I take him sleeping when I can get it. Mama needs sleep too!
    Proud mama to Ryan born 6-19-10

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
    - Anais Nin

Evening fussiness is very normal and doesn't indicate anything about your supply.
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html
    As for the one breast thing that is normal too. My little guy hardly ever takes both breasts. As long as they are satisfied with the first and you are offering the second then thier is no need to worry.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

Evenings-only colic. The Witching Hour(s). The fussy time. There are lots of different names for it, but it's almost always the same: mom feels deflated. Baby is crying, and the breast isn't making him happy even though it always does the trick at other times of day.

Having enough milk doesn't mean feeling "full." For most moms, feeling full means that you have extra milk. A baby can get a full meal from a "deflated" breast- he just may have to work a little harder in order to get it.

One thing I realized with my second kid is that if nursing isn't soothing the baby, you have to try other things. When my second daughter would gear up for her witching hours (7-10 pm), I would offer the breast. If she didn't seem interested (pulling off, not nursing long, or outright rejecting the breast), we went to plan B: rocking her, walking her around outside (fresh air can make a HUGE difference!), rocking her in a rocking chair, or giving her a bath.

Also if he sleeps from 9pm to 4am can this cause my supply to decrease? should I wake and pump...that will suck bc I need the sleep after dealing w hrs of colic.
    Sleep when the baby sleeps. As long as the baby is having adequate wet and poopy diapers, there's no need to pump. Your body has a terrific internal clock that can be trained to make milk when it is required, and make much less when it is not required, simply by nursing on demand!

When is a average age when they start 2 boobing it or is it diff for each baby? He's a big guy was 10.4 at birth and prob about 14lbs now. You'd think he'd need more than 1 breast for 10min.
    There's no average time. Some babies remain one-sided nursers for a very long time, or throughout their nursing careers.

1 reason I started only offering 1 breast was for the colic in case he was getting to much foremilk. and I'll block feed offering the same breast for a 2hr period in the evenings. Is there anything else I shld or shldnt be doing?
    Block feeding is useful for getting lots of hindmilk into the baby- but it also reduces supply. So I would use it with caution. Particularly in the evenings, when many moms notice they have less milk. You might want to try doing double-sided feedings during the fussy hour. That might soothe the baby if his issue is that he feels like the milk is too hard to get out, and it will increase supply during the evening.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Block feeding is useful for getting lots of hindmilk into the baby- but it also reduces supply. So I would use it with caution. Particularly in the evenings, when many moms notice they have less milk. You might want to try doing double-sided feedings during the fussy hour. That might soothe the baby if his issue is that he feels like the milk is too hard to get out, and it will increase supply during the evening.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reassurance moms!
    about blk feeding he eats from 1 breast every 3hrs most of the day but after 4 or 5 sometimes he wants to nurse every hour so for 2hrs I do 1 breast and then so on. Will that reduce my supply? I just don't want him getting so much foremilk every hour to add to colic/gas pains....he arches his back and cries like he is in pain.

The best way I have found to sooth him during colic hrs is my birthing ball...I sit on it and hold him and we bounce up and down. He calms down and gets lots of burps out and he will fall asleep. Tones my legs & bum as well
    Once I figured that out (Idk what made me think of it I think my back was hurting from walking circles around my house) But now Idk what I'd do without my ball at the times the rocking chair and walks outside don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nikkimommy View Post
    Block feeding is useful for getting lots of hindmilk into the baby- but it also reduces supply. So I would use it with caution. Particularly in the evenings, when many moms notice they have less milk. You might want to try doing double-sided feedings during the fussy hour. That might soothe the baby if his issue is that he feels like the milk is too hard to get out, and it will increase supply during the evening.
    Thanks for the reassurance moms!
    about blk feeding he eats from 1 breast every 3hrs most of the day but after 4 or 5 sometimes he wants to nurse every hour so for 2hrs I do 1 breast and then so on. Will that reduce my supply? I just don't want him getting so much foremilk every hour to add to colic/gas pains....he arches his back and cries like he is in pain.

The best way I have found to sooth him during colic hrs is my birthing ball...I sit on it and hold him and we bounce up and down. He calms down and gets lots of burps out and he will fall asleep. Tones my legs & bum as well
    Once I figured that out (Idk what made me think of it I think my back was hurting from walking circles around my house) But now Idk what I'd do without my ball at the times the rocking chair and walks outside don't work.

i've been concerned about the same thing and it does seem very common. the combination of evening fussiness and lower production late in the day when baby wants extra to top off for the night is very frustrating! if i remember correctly, the evening fussiness went away around 5 or 6 mos with my two older children? hang in there!
    i'm Kim, married to my DH since 8-3-02.
    this is my second attempt to bf after a breast reduction.
    Andrew Gage 6-5-04 ff
    John Michael 2-8-08 ff and bf until 7 mos
    Lillian Gianna 6-25-10 ebf since 11-12-10 thanks to the support and knowledge from this forum!

When you block feed, your supply does decrease. Which is great at the times of day when you have oversupply problems- but sometimes there is a time of day when your supply is normal or even low, even though you have oversupply during the rest of the day. So you have to stay alert and switch it up if you feel like there's a time of day when your baby needs more milk.

Arching back and crying makes me think reflux might be a problem for your LO.

The best way I have found to sooth him during colic hrs is my birthing ball...I sit on it and hold him and we bounce up and down. He calms down and gets lots of burps out and he will fall asleep.
    That's terrific!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I don't believe it's reflux. My 1st son had reflux really bad so I am familiar with reflux.. This LO only does this from 6-10pm on and off. no other time of day.

I don't believe it's reflux. My 1st son had reflux really bad so I am familiar with reflux.. This LO only does this from 6-10pm on and off. no other time of day.
    Sounds like evening fussiness to me. My little guy was so bad for a couple of weeks that my DH got a complex about it. It seemed like every night when my DH got home was about the time my little guy would start screaming his head off. I had to try really hard to convince DH it was the time of day and not that "the baby hates me "
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )