Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby preferring bottle over breast

Default Baby preferring bottle over breast

Hello-I need help!!! My baby is 11 weeks old and I returned to work last week. She has been doing great with the bottle at daycare, however, is now extremely fussy when I try to nurse her. Today, she refused nursing all together and would cry and struggle whenever I tried to put her into the nursing position. I eventually gave up, and my husband gave her a bottle which she eagerly drank. We use Dr. Brown bottles with size 1 nipples. I have tried everything today...skin on skin contact, laying down to nurse, taking her into a quiet dark room, etc and nothing is working! I'm at my wits end and feel very depressed about her reaction. I nursed my son (while working full-time) for 14 months and planned on doing the same. I hear that exclusively pumping is damaging on milk supply and also is way too time consuming for me to handle. Any words of advice??

Default Re: Baby preferring bottle over breast

momma! When baby prefers bottle over breast it can feel like a rejection of you but that's not the case. Your baby is just smart! She's figured out that it takes much less effort to get that yummy momma milk out of a bottle than it does to get it out of the breast.

Don't give up though. Many mommas of kids who are refusing the breast find that nursing while they are asleep or almost asleep is easier. I would encourage you to stay calm and keep doing the skin to skin contact with her. Wear her throughout the day in a sling or carrier if you have one.

This link might help you out:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

When my DD was born (17 years ago ) she refused my breast and preferred a bottle. I gave in and immediately regretted not trying harder. Just keep trying momma! It's so worth it!
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html

This link may also be helpful- how to bottle feed the breastfed baby. It could be that how she is bottle fed is causing part or most of the problem.

Hows it going?

Mama, the same thing happened to me. What saved my sanity? First you have to understand it's not personal. Like 1st reply said - LO has just figured out it takes less work to drink from a bottle and wants to know why she can't get it the easy way all the time!

As another responder said, a tired / sleepy little one will often not have the energy to fight and will go ahead and nurse . . . so the biggest thing that helped me and DD was napping together, offering the breast right before she fell asleep, if she wiggled at all during the nap, and right after she woke up. We continued by cosleeping at night, and she'd nurse through the night when she wanted the extra calories.

If you can get her to do that, you may be good to go. Yes, pumping can be damaging to supply, but only because a pump isn't as efficient as your little one at removing all the milk (that's why I say that nap-nursing and night-nursing can help you a lot). Pumping, cleaning parts, etc etc can also get exhausting if you find that you have to pump many times a day to retain your supply.

Just do what you can do, Mama, and try not to stress so much because your little one will feel the stress on you and it will make it that much harder to bring her back to breast.

I know this is trying, Mama. Feel free to private message me if you need more help.
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.

Poor mama. Hang in there!
    Last edited by @llli*beckym; September 24th, 2010 at 01:09 PM.