Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Unhappy Baby

Default Unhappy Baby

Hi everyone. I have a 2 mo old and so far things have been good, but I have a few concerns. In the last few days, I've experienced the following...

A burning sensation after nursing that shoots through the breast. Usually on the least favoured breast. No bleeding/cracked nipples or blisters though

A decrease in supply(i think). She has suddenly wanted to nurse much more often and for longer periods. She falls asleep nursing and when I pull her off, she wakes up and wants to nurse again. When she does stay awake, she stares at me with this pissed off look on her face for awhile then goes back to smiling and talking. (I'm not kidding, even though it probably sounds funny)

Now here's the two big things... For one I just started my first period on Saturday and to top it off she's only had one poop in two days. I was thinking it was the no poop that was causing her behavior, but even after she finally did the deed, she's still irritated. Doc says she's fine since she finally pooped.

So my questions are:

Is the burning sensation and decrease in milk supply related to my menstrating?

Is my LO going through "baby PMS" or is it simply the no poop thing?

Should I be concerned in her change of feeding habits and behavior?

I don't know how to react to any of these things. Please let me know your thoughts.

Default Re: Unhappy Baby

It is most likely a growth spurt that she is going through and not a low supply issue! Babies go through them often!

I don't know about a burning sensation... it could be a let-down although if it is very painful it could be something else? (thrush?)

And for the pooping it is normal.... breast milk is so highly digestible that the baby can go up to a 5 days without pooping! (It is amazing stuff!) as long as she has plenty of wet diapers and when she poops its a yellow mustard color it should be just fine!
    Rosemary 9-16-09 9lbs 11oz 21inches
    Laura K - FT SAHM at 17 months! and still comfort nursing for sleep

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lee.lee View Post

A burning sensation after nursing that shoots through the breast.

>This could be thrush!

No bleeding/cracked nipples or blisters though. >That is great!!

A decrease in supply(i think). She has suddenly wanted to nurse much more often and for longer periods. She falls asleep nursing and when I pull her off, she wakes up and wants to nurse again.

> This definitely sounds like a growth spurt!! My LO had this around the same age. He nursed one week every night on the hour for 30 minutes each time.

> I would try wearing your baby in a wrap or carrier. This can help with the grouchy and fussy times. I love to put my DS in my k'tan when he is fussy. He will usually take a nap after being in it for 15 or 20 minutes.

> I wouldn't be concerned right now. They do seem to change their feeding habits regularly.

I don't know how to react to any of these things. Please let me know your thoughts.
    >It sounds like you are doing a good job! Just keep up the nursing every 2 hours or so and more if needed. My LO is 5 months now and still nurses at least every 2 hours during the day. He eats 9-10 times a day.

Good Luck Mama!!!
    Mother to 3...Kaylen 15, Clint 12, and Carter 11 months!!

A decrease in supply(i think). She has suddenly wanted to nurse much more often and for longer periods. She falls asleep nursing and when I pull her off, she wakes up and wants to nurse again.
    Maybe a growth spurt, or just wanting to be close to mom? Not sure I'd think supply problem- though supply can dip around your period.

Is the burning sensation and decrease in milk supply related to my menstrating?
    I'd check out these resources on thrush: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html Not saying that thrush is what it is, but burning after nursing is one classic symptom. But painful nipples/breasts around mestruation are common.

I'd probably blame the poop. I mean, if I didn't go for 2 days... However, it's worth checking the baby for thrush, too- that can cause discomfort.

I'm not sure "concerned" is the right word... Maybe "watchful"?

Thank you all for your input. She's still a little fussy, but it's definitely better than what it was. And it seems that my supply is fine now. I am pumping my usual 4-5 oz each 3 hours and she has slowed down with the non-stop feedings. Even the burning sensation is gone. I guess it was just my reaction to menstrating again, but I am definitely keeping an eye out for any other thrush symptoms. Thanks again

I sometimes have very painful nipples while nursing during my period. The burning could just have been hormonal. I definately see a dip in supply when I'm on my period too. I got mine back when DS was 4 months. We're really fertile in my family!

I'm glad things are better now.
    Jen - mom to 3
    DD who I FF
    I survived 10 painful mastitis infections and managed to nurse DS1 till he was 3 years and 7 months
    and now DS2 4 years now working on gentle weaning and

"Pride is one of the seven deadly sins; but it can not be the pride of a mother in her children, for that is a compound of two cardinal virtues - faith and hope." Charles Dickens