Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: down to 10-12 oz of formula!!

Default down to 10-12 oz of formula!!

when i first joined these forums about a month ago, i was using 18+ oz of formula every day! it's taking a lot longer than i would have thought, but we're getting there! the only thing is that i'm really not pumping anymore and i'm worried that when i start again it's going to have an adverse effect...?
    i'm Kim, married to my DH since 8-3-02.
    this is my second attempt to bf after a breast reduction.
    Andrew Gage 6-5-04 ff
    John Michael 2-8-08 ff and bf until 7 mos
    Lillian Gianna 6-25-10 ebf since 11-12-10 thanks to the support and knowledge from this forum!

Default Re: down to 10-12 oz of formula!!

Adverse effect how?
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

i never get much (1-2oz per 1/2 hour session) and i'm pretty sure that it's DD on the breast that's done it... does that make any sense? i mean she usually pops off satisfied after only about 15 minutes total... i don't know when i'd even pump since she's nursing more frequently now... but my stash has been gone for about 2 weeks (froze some so that even on our worst days she'd at least have 1 serving of bm) and i don't want to have to give her more formula to make up for what i store... i'm sorry! i'm all over the place here! chasing my toddler!
    Andrew Gage 6-5-04 ff
    Lillian Gianna 6-25-10 ebf since 11-12-10 thanks to the support and knowledge from this forum!

if you pump after she is done nursing you won't be taking anything away from her- just signalling your breasts to make more milk. However I am confused why you are supplimenting if she is coming of the breast satisfied in 15 minutes? Am I missing something? Still confused (not that that is new )
    Jessica

Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.

lol! sorry! like i said i'm all over the place! i should have been more specific... she's fine all day with what i can offer, but n the evening she power feeds! i mean (according to formula amounts from earlier this month) she takes in about 1/2 her food (12oz or so) all within the last 5 hours before she goes to sleep for the night. then she gets so frustrated with me she bites and tugs and squirms. that's when i supplement.. she'll take 2oz. be fine for 30 minutes, start fussing, nurse for about 5 minutes per side, until nothings coming out, starts fighting again, supplement, repeat... did that help?!?! lol i'm a wreck today!
    Andrew Gage 6-5-04 ff

It is very normal for babies to be fussy in the evening and it can have nothing to do with your supply.
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html
    I had an oversupply and my little guy was fussy every evening starting at about the time my DH got home from work for several months. Almost gave the poor guy a complex becuase " RC starts crying the minute he sees me" I had to reasure him daily that it wasn't him just the timing. Have you seen this link also?
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...g.html#evening
    Sounds like your Lo may just be fussy becuase of the slower flow of milk in the evening vs the morning. also this link has some more info on weaning from formula suppliments. You are definitely on the right path.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html
    Jessica