Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 mo old waking up every hour

Default 8 mo old waking up every hour

Hi all Mamas,
    Looking for some advice here. DS is now 8 months and waking every hour at night. He has been doing this for a solid 2 months now. We co-sleep and I am beginning to think that may have been a mistake. For the past few days he has also been waking at around 4 a.m. ready to go for the day. He is smiling and laughing and jumping in the bed. It takes at least half an hour to get him back down again. He usually can get to sleep while I nurse him but lately he tosses and turns even with the boobie. My husband and I take turns putting him back to sleep but DS usually wants me. I work three days per week and I am quite tired. I feel like he is a newborn all over again. He really has never slept through the night. I spoke with a mom the other day and she has 18 month old twins who both have slept in their own beds and through the night. (formula fed too). Kind of makes me feel like I am doing something wrong, ya know? DS starts out in his crib in our room. He can last there anywhere from 20 min to two hours then he is in our bed for the night. I know he could be teething, he has no teeth yet. He does drool quite alot. He also seems very gassy. When he tosses and turns he does fart and seems relieved. I wonder if me drinking tea has anything to do with his waking at night??
    I feel like I am starting to get ready to transition him to his crib but will not CIO. I miss snuggling with my hubby too. We love our baby and want to balance our snuggle time with his. Sorry so long! Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    , While at work I . Happily (for part of the night)
    Made it to ONE!!!

Default Re: 8 mo old waking up every hour

Some babies have a hard time sleeping when they are going through developmental changes or teething. Also have you recently started solids- the comment about this going on for about 2 months and the gas made me think that maybe he is not handling solids so well at this time? I don't think that getting him out of your bed is going to make it any better- in fact it may make it worse.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

For us, the period between seven and ten months was THE WORST for sleep. I think it was a combination of developmental changes and teething (he did cut like five or six teeth in that time). We had the get up and play at 4 a.m. thing. ROUGH. I work full time and I just got by on not a lot of sleep. It sucked. I feel your pain. I have very little advice except (1) don't compare your baby's sleep to other's (hard, I know, I do the same thing, but my baby has never STTN, that's just him); (2) hang in there, it usually gets better after walking is in full swing. It's easy to think that because it's gotten worse over the past month or two, it will just continue to go downhill forever!! And you've done something wrong! But, that's not the case. It goes in cycles and slowly but surely, your LO will learn to go back to sleep on his own.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Oh my, I could have written this exact same post! I have 7.5 month-old twins, and about four weeks ago, their sleep started going way downhill. We also started solids about a month ago, and it does seem like they are more gassy, and just not handling the solids very well. I'm only trying them 1x day, but it still seems like their tummies aren't so happy.

One just cut a tooth, and the other is drooling like mad. 4am wakeups, and 2 am, and 1am, and sometimes 11pm, and 10pm...the only thing that seems to work is nursing, but I know they're usually not hungry, because they sip a few times and then stop. We also start them in cribs and then they end up in our bed, which helps, but means that I am dead tired for the 3 days/week that I work. I feel your pain!! A few times I've tried infant Tylenol, just to see if that would help, and I really can't tell if it does. I tried Hyland's teething tablets, and they seemed to knock the girls out, but I am uncomfortable with the ingredients and haven't used them in a few weeks.

One of them just learned to really scream, and she gets so worked up at night. I also can't do CIO, especially when I'm worried that their crying is related to teething. Seems totally cruel to just ignore teething as an issue, as some sleep "experts" advise.

My only advice is to, on the days you have off, try to take naps with your LO. That's what I do on my two days off, and it helps rejuvinate me a bit. I also trade off w/ my husband on weekend mornings. When the babies wake up for good on Saturday morning, I feed them, and then go back to sleep, and my husband gets up with them. We switch on Sunday. For now, those few things are keeping me from totally losing it!

Good luck, I wish I had more advice!

Thanks for all of the replies and advice. Will def try alternating on weekends with hubby and going back to bed, sounds like paradise! I may slow down on the solids too to see if that will help and cut back on the caffeine intake althought that helps keep ME awake! I feel so fortunate to have this forum. Not sure what I would do without out it!
    , While at work I . Happily (for part of the night)
    Made it to ONE!!!

On weekends my husband and I take turns letting the other one sleep in. Since Joe doesn't usually nurse much after his last morning nibble in bed with me, that works great.

My other favorite coping mechanism: going to bed with Joe, when he goes down, at 8 or 8:30. Yeah, it makes me officially old and boring, but hey, I need sleep! It turns out you CAN make up for heavily interrupted sleep by getting more sleep overall.

Good luck!!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I definately feel your pain and exhaustion. My own 8 month old LO starting waking up at 4 am to play. Not a very good thing when his daddy has to get up at 4:30 am to get ready for work. I am not sure that it is the food that you have started because I am still BFing without introducing any type of solids yet.